Miracle Grow potting soil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some advice on here that said you can use Miracle Grow potting soil (organic) in my planted tank. I put about two inches on a 40 gallon then topped it with a two inch "sand cap". Add the water and it stay under but the water is cloudy.. What can I do to get it clear? I was thinking a few good water changes. I have no plants or fish in the tank yet. I am also running a fluval 305. Basically in the cycling stage.

multiple water changes will help clear the cloudiness, and any excess nutrients in the water column.

It'll leech tannins for quite some time... in fact, my 150 leeched tannins from the soil for the 8 months or so that I had it. It'll also cause quite the algae bloom for the first few months. so be prepared for types of algae you've never dreamed of.

I agree with mfd. What ever you do, do not stir up the sand. I remembered I moved 1 of my driftwoods and it made a mess, all of the soil came up. I had to remove all the fish and start all over.

Back
Top Bottom