Missing plant top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manbot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I woke up this morning to find that one of my plants had been eaten from the middle section upwards- I found the rest of the plant floating at the top- what fish could have done this?

I've got rainbow sharks, khuli loachs, barbs, paradise fish and silver sharks and I'm not sure on the plant to be honest but that's the photo of one of them

Attachments

• image-2263280719.jpg
    image-2263280719.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 120
What kind of barbs? My rosy barbs will tear up plants like crazy. My tiger barbs like to eat them too but not as bad as the rosies

Yea I just bought 2 Rosie barbs it might b them tho I have 8 younger ones who have not done any damage till now-? Can it be then? And can they b stopes at all?

Don't worry too much about as this is a stem plant and that area where it was chopped off will grow into two stems (from that cut off node). Your fish will continue to chew/tear up the plants until they get used to it. I had an african cichlid tank and the plants were alwasy chewed up. Eventually they stopped entirely.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but how so they get Ustu it? Do they just get over it?

That type of stem, I have some, sorry I do not remember the name, breaks quite easily. It will root and grow once it settles in.

Also can too many plants be bad for fish? I mean CO2 wise?

No, unless your fish have no room to swim, you can't have too many plants IMO.

FWIW, I have black ruby, gold, cherry, and spanner t barbs in my 125 and they have absolutely destroyed some of my plants. Some they have left alone, but probably 80% have been eaten.

Back
Top Bottom