Mist Method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just pulled out my sweetwater stone in favor of the rhinox Tom was talking about and it works much better.. the rhinox collects bubbles in a chamber under a disc of material similar to that used in sweetwater stone.. the result is finer more spread out bubbles that my power head sucks up easilly .. I made the change this weekend and the result is a much finer mist around the tank.

I got the diffuser on ebay .. found a "best offer link" and bid 15.. the auction that closed a few days later went for 12 so they are cheap. The hardst thing is the seller is in malyasia so it took nearly two weeks to get it, but I am very happy with the results.

Tom, once again, thank you!

sweetwater makes about 50 different air stones.. not that I'm advicating there use but what qualifies as the standard one in this thread?

Some pics of Mist method in action...

Edit: CO2 into the intake of a Cannister filter is more power diffusion. The outflow of a cannister blowing accross a glass diffusor, and blowing bubbles all over the tank is more mist method.

72-LE-CO2_and_Phmeter.jpg

72-mist-3.jpg

72-mist-2.jpg

72-mist-1.jpg

green by standard I mean the cheapy $2 sweetwater that Tom found a couple of years ago. The bubbles come up in a straight line stream.. the Rhinox breaks things up a little more and they come up in a wider column .. then I have 2 small power heads above, one facing straight the other at right angles so the bubbles are sent all over the tank. It works really nicely. my drop checker with 5 kh stays a nice mid-green and it is on the opposite corner of the tank furthest away from diffuser and powerheads.

What pump strength (l/h) do you recommend for a 55g? I have a 600 l/h but is seems to be overkill since it sways the plants so I had to install a spraybar.

As it turns out the spraybars in at least two of the tanks are actually managing a very nice mist with this setup. I guess the holes are small enough that they do a good job of breaking the bubbles up into a nice fine mist which gets sprayed acros the tank. Since the CO2 flow is slow enough, it's a sporadic spurt of mist instead of a constant stream. That's okay with me as it means I don't have to look at quite as many bubbles in the water column.

Back
Top Bottom