Mistery snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rauljavier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_7712.jpgIMG_7713.jpgIMG_7713.jpgIMG_7714.jpg

Hi
In this tank I have 3 mistery snails and 1 betta , it’s planted and cycle . I notice this on the edge of the tank I think is eggs from the snail. How can I save the most of them.

Eggs

Yes, they are mystery snail eggs. Mysteries are not asexual snails, you need a male and a female, so at least one of yours is a female. The short answer to your question about saving them (presumably to hatch) is "you probably can't".

Google mystery snail eggs and you'll find plenty of good advice from people who have tried to raise them - a few successful, many not - with the details and specifics of exactly what you need to start a nursery. Something you need to know is that if you do hatch them you'll be looking at 50-100 new snails. From each clutch. An active pair can produce 2 clutches each week. Hope you love snails.

If you haven't removed that egg clutch in your pictures by now and decide to do so, notice that it's crusty on the outside and should pop off pretty easily. This is the surface of the shells hardening, which doesn't automatically mean you're going to be a new snail parent. By comparison, if you try to remove a clutch and it's totally soft and mushy, that means it was laid last night. Longer time=harder on the outside. This is how you tell how old they are. They lay at night, so look for eggs first thing in the morning.

They're always laid above the water line, at the top of the tank or underside of the lid, so this soft vs. crusty feel will be your clue as to how old it is, since you may not always immediately spot them way up there.

At a certain point it may begin to rot instead of mature, as getting a clutch to actually hatch can be tricky (see the bit about doing research on google, above). And rotting eggs aren't healthy for your Betta and his water. On the other hand, if you have a tank of goldfish, they find mystery snail eggs to be a delicious snack.

By the way, really beautiful tank you've got there.

IMG_7866.jpg

Thanks for the advice !!! I got another question how to clean up to tank where they hatched without hurting them
Thanks

So they hatched and you have baby snails? Congratulations! Just a water change from the top, moving gently, and swish out the filter in tank water you removed.

What do you plan to do with them when they get bigger? Sell to local stores? I'll be interested to know what colors they become. What color(s) are their parents?

So they hatched and you have baby snails? Congratulations! Just a water change from the top, moving gently, and swish out the filter in tank water you removed.

What do you plan to do with them when they get bigger? Sell to local stores? I'll be interested to know what colors they become. What color(s) are their parents?

Well I don’t know what I’m going to do with them but surely there’s a lot of them, their parents are gold , maybe gift them away to friends in the hobby and nearby stores. Keep you updated and thanks

Back
Top Bottom