Moderate lighting for a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashiro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What is the best moderate lighting equipment I can get for a standard 10 gallon aquarium?

Best meaning, best deal while still giving what I need.

Right now I just have one of those economy incandescent hoods that have two sockets and I'm running two 10 watt 6500k bulbs.

Sounds like you already have what you need.

+1, if you really want stronger light try to find higher wattage incandescent bulbs. I once put two 60w bulbs I had laying around the house on my ten gallon, filled the tank with algae in three days too haha

Just to confirm with the op, are you using the screw in tube type compact fluorescents in the stock incandescent hood?

Lol, I wouldn't recommend using anything too high, as the the fixture is most likely not rated or built to use that much wattage... Don't wanna melt any wires or start a fire... ;)

Just to confirm with the op, are you using the screw in tube type compact fluorescents in the stock incandescent hood?

Lol, I wouldn't recommend using anything too high, as the the fixture is most likely not rated or built to use that much wattage... Don't wanna melt any wires or start a fire... ;)

Yes, its the screw in type base. I've read that my hood can take 25w bulbs. I don't know if that applies to fluorescents.

What you have should be good for moderate lighting then. If you want to go higher, then I believe the most common sizes found at Home Depot or lowes would be 13 or 24 watt spiral bulbs. But higher lighting would require some form of co2 supplementation. You can also take the reflectors out of your hood and spray paint them white to get a little better reflection of light to bump up the intensity of your 10 watt bulbs. :)

What you have should be good for moderate lighting then. If you want to go higher, then I believe the most common sizes found at Home Depot or lowes would be 13 or 24 watt spiral bulbs. But higher lighting would require some form of co2 supplementation. You can also take the reflectors out of your hood and spray paint them white to get a little better reflection of light to bump up the intensity of your 10 watt bulbs. :)

Thanks,

But would tin foil tape work just the same? I have tons of that on hand as my dad is an AC repair man.

Back
Top Bottom