More Lush Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
asking a lot of ?s about these new plants, but just wanting to make this whole tank right. I got the plants last week for the 55 and they're doing alright, but seem to lack a really nice green. I'm assuming it's just an acclimation period, but will they get greener as I continue to fertilize every week, or is there something else I should do? Was thinking DIY CO2 but don't know for sure yet.

What light fixture do you have?
What plants did you add?
What ferrs are you adding?

It could just be an acclimation period, im going through that myself with plants i added. But a picture would help us a lot in determining whats going on.

What light fixture do you have?
What plants did you add?
What ferrs are you adding?

It could just be an acclimation period, im going through that myself with plants i added. But a picture would help us a lot in determining whats going on.

I will try to get a picture. I'm running just 2 40w T12 daylight bulbs, which I know doesn't give me a ton of light but it's a start and I will most likely upgrade in the future. I added an Amazon sword, moneywort, Rotala indica, ludwigia repens, anacharis, hornwort and crypts. Ferts are flourish comphrensive and leaf zone as well as osmocote root tabs.

You will likely run into problems keeping the rotala indica and possibly the ludwigia as well until you increase your light.

You will likely run into problems keeping the rotala indica and possibly the ludwigia as well until you increase your light.

Would adding another T12 fixture that holds 2 40w bulbs help?

It most likely would. It's hard to tell though. I'm not too familiar with the par rating on t12 bulbs.

I'm not entirely sure either, all i do know is that the kelvin is around 6500k. Will be picking up a new fixture soon

The problem is the depth of the tank. I can't imagine there is much par at substrate level. Plants can go low on par but how low depends on species as mebbid has pointed out. Dark green, broad leaf species such as Anubias have adapted themselves to capture as much light as possible in low light environments and are effectively shade plants. I don't see many beyond these doing well at all. I think most of what you have listed may die and stem plants will probably drop their lower leaves in favour of newer growth closer to the light and atmospheric carbon. The crypts and floating plants may survive but not thrive. The others need brighter light and a good stable carbon supply to survive let alone enhance their colours. It's best to research plants before purchase to avoid wasting money. I did the same numerous times and can speak from experience.

Low light tanks with no additional carbon can be done but it can prove quite challenging to say the least in my experience. When I added similar plants to yourself to an environment slightly brighter than yours all that remained was the typical 'low light plants' Anubias, crypts (although squat and slow to grow) and the almost indestructible and rapid growing jungle val.

You may benefit from increased surface agitation as this will allow a stable supply of oxygen and carbon into the water column. Under such a low light and carbon source, weekly water changes, and nutrients from fish food and waste may be all that is needed to feed the plants. You will likely be removing plants until you are left with the ones that will work in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The problem is the depth of the tank. I can't imagine there is much par at substrate level. Plants can go low on par but how low depends on species as mebbid has pointed out. Dark green, broad leaf species such as Anubias have adapted themselves to capture as much light as possible in low light environments and are effectively shade plants. I don't see many beyond these doing well at all. I think most of what you have listed may die and stem plants will probably drop their lower leaves in favour of newer growth closer to the light and atmospheric carbon. The crypts and floating plants may survive but not thrive. The others need brighter light and a good stable carbon supply to survive let alone enhance their colours. It's best to research plants before purchase to avoid wasting money. I did the same numerous times and can speak from experience.

Low light tanks with no additional carbon can be done but it can prove quite challenging to say the least in my experience. When I added similar plants to yourself to an environment slightly brighter than yours all that remained was the typical 'low light plants' Anubias, crypts (although squat and slow to grow) and the almost indestructible and rapid growing jungle val.

You may benefit from increased surface agitation as this will allow a stable supply of oxygen and carbon into the water column. Under such a low light and carbon source, weekly water changes, and nutrients from fish food and waste may be all that is needed to feed the plants. You will likely be removing plants until you are left with the ones that will work in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks. I purchased another fixture today so I now have 160 watts. Even with the depth of the tank, could this lighting be adequate?

Back
Top Bottom