Moss and Purple Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LilBangarang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey. Recently I've been noticing some purple algae on one of my rocks. Not like a bluish green, but like a royal purple. Is this harmful or just freaking awesome. Is it an indicator of anything?

Aside from that, I've been seeing pictures of people with moss in their tanks. Do I need a special aquatic moss to achieve this, or can I use some stuff from outside my house?

Any comments are much appreciated.

For your moss question, most of what we have is java moss. It grows without any fuss, nothing special needed at all. It also grows quick. Then other have more specialized mosses.

The purple algae sounds like cyanobacteria.

Blue-green algae

Description: Thick sheets of blue-green, purple, black or brown slime coating the tank substrate rocks and plants. Tank water sometimes smells foul.
Blue-green algae isn’t actually a plant but rather a cyanobacteria – a kind of bacteria capable of photosynthesizing. It can release toxins that are harmful to fishes, as well as smothering plants.

Algae control in a freshwater aquarium

Can't spell it off hand but go on bulk reef supply .com it's works wonders I purchased the duel media reactor 1 side is gfo the other is carbon it's amazing and cheap check out there YouTube videos on it

Can't spell it off hand but go on bulk reef supply .com it's works wonders I purchased the duel media reactor 1 side is gfo the other is carbon it's amazing and cheap check out there YouTube videos on it

Are you confusing this with a saltwater tank?

Sorry yes I thought this was a reef tank sorry don't know much on planted tanks only reefs and paranna tanks

If it's the blue green algea, which is what i had. You may need to lower the lights and clean the algea out. that took care of mine.

Is it slimey or hairy? Ive seen several different shades of bba, but Ive never heard of either being purple like you describe it.

Do you use excel?

If I'm not mistaken LilBangarang wants to keep the algae not get rid of it.

If you want to keep it, you don't have do anything, if it is growing in your tank is because it is under the right conditions.

Xand3r said:
If I'm not mistaken LilBangarang wants to keep the algae not get rid of it.

If you want to keep it, you don't have do anything, if it is growing in your tank is because it is under the right conditions.

I ask, because the only time I've seen algae thats purple like that was when hair algae was dying from excel treatment.

img_1690858_0_65363feeea135410dc715aed30754211.jpg

bba1.jpg
Does it kind of look like that? (the stuff under the fish)
if so, it's black beard algae or BBA. you can dose with flourish, treat with hydrogen peroxide (great if it's on ornaments or driftwood) or if your tank can handle them SAEs. IF it is BBA, it will start to cover everything and it IS a hassle to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom