Moss Ball

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently removed my Marimo moss ball to roll it and squeeze it since someone told me to do that to remove the gross stuff it absorbs from water and now it won't sink. Is that normal? Will it eventually sink again?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pretty normal! :) and yes you should definitely do this! I always think of them as mini-filters! What works for me is molding them again under water and squeezing the air out... At least this works on the smaller ones, my big one is not so easily persuaded and tends to float even after

Sent per three-eyed raven...

squeeze a moss ball?

I take mine out and rinse it under clean tap water and let it sit when I do PWCs, sometimes picked the grime off but never squeezed it.

Should I do this?

They won't fall apart trust me, and you can just reshape them afterwards.. You'll be surprised how much dirty matter they hold! Next time you do a PWC, take the ball out into the bucket with aquariumwater and watch the water turn brown lol

Sent per three-eyed raven...

I may skip squeezing it now that I think about it because I think my cherries hide in there lol

I love Marimo! They're super easy to care for. Yeah, they can float around for a bit when you squeeze/rinse them out. They will sometimes stay at the top regardless, if they need more oxygen. I currently have 2, one is hanging in my 2.5g fluval and the other is in a vase. I definitely want more, though.

Typically, I will do a water change every 1-2 weeks and rinse/squeeze them out.

Back
Top Bottom