Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2021, 10:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Moss ball ccondition

I bought a moss ball roughly 3 weeks ago, and for the last 3 days or so the ball looks like it's shedding. I see strands of the ball floating too. I can only describe the ball as - pardon me - 'nappy." It's not a smooth sphere. Is there anything wrong with it? I'll try to upload a photo...

Old 03-03-2021, 12:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeGR View Post
I bought a moss ball roughly 3 weeks ago, and for the last 3 days or so the ball looks like it's shedding. I see strands of the ball floating too. I can only describe the ball as - pardon me - 'nappy." It's not a smooth sphere. Is there anything wrong with it? I'll try to upload a photo...
Take it out and squeeze and roll it up a little tighter.
Also they LOVE cold so if you need to hospital it for a bit you can put it in the fridge. Just not too long. They do need light.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fish View Post
Take it out and squeeze and roll it up a little tighter.
Also they LOVE cold so if you need to hospital it for a bit you can put it in the fridge. Just not too long. They do need light.
Thanks for the advice, seemed to do the trick. Do you think I need to buy anything to feed it, like CO2? Or plant food? I am planning to buy two more tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

No CO2 is needed and carful with fertilizers. If you have fish you shouldn't need it. If you are doing just the miss balls you could add a drop it two. Just carful not to go overboard or you will be growing other algae.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, this experience was short-lived: just received this email from Petco:

"At Petco, weíre committed to supporting the health and wellness of pets, people and our planet.

We were recently approached by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife regarding an investigation into a potential link between Marimo aquarium moss balls and an invasive species of wild zebra mussels. To aid in the investigation and prevent potential spread, we immediately paused the sale of all Marimo aquarium moss balls. We are working closely with regulatory authorities, Petco vendors and our own veterinary staff on appropriate next steps, including proper handling and disposal of any affected product.

If you have Marimo moss balls at home, please safely and responsibly dispose of them by following these steps from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife. If you purchased Marimo moss balls from Petco in the last 30 days, follow these steps and then bring your receipt to a Petco location to receive a full refund. "

I was also told all moss balls were removed from store and sale was prohibited until further notice.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeGR View Post
If you have Marimo moss balls at home, please safely and responsibly dispose of them by following these steps from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Gee, here's a surprise. I bought 5 Marimo's from Bezos 3-months ago, things look fine. Zebra mussels? Another ugly issue. 20-years ago +/- Chicago reported a rapidly growing infection in Lake Michigan. It turns out that our little buds are rapidily eroding a fabulous collection of sunken wooden ships a tiny bit at a time.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Overfilter View Post
Gee, here's a surprise. I bought 5 Marimo's from Bezos 3-months ago, things look fine. Zebra mussels? Another ugly issue. 20-years ago +/- Chicago reported a rapidly growing infection in Lake Michigan. It turns out that our little buds are rapidily eroding a fabulous collection of sunken wooden ships a tiny bit at a time.

Sorry, I'm still new to this. Please explain.

Tags
condition, moss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com