moss ball question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little Stinkpots

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i was reading a book about plants and was reading that when or if a moss ball breaks up it can be put on a rock. but it didnt explain what it would do. at least not in words i understood. so i guess the question im asking is that if i put one of my tore up moss balls on a peice of driftwood would it eventually grow to it or what. im pretty new to aquatic plant and im getting really interested in it so any advice or suggestions i am open to

I had one of those moss balls in my first tank. I broke it up because I wanted to make a carpet in the tank out of it. That failed for several reasons, but I think mostly because it didn't have roots able to get into the gravel. There are several mosses you could try, I am sure somebody more experienced than me will chime in soon!

Are you talking about Marimo?

You will have to use fishing line or other thread to tie it down to the driftwood. It grows very slowly. As it fills out you will have to use your fingers to kind of spread it out and keep adding new fishing line or whatever to get it grow around anything.

It is a slow (years) process. Other mosses will do the same thing much faster. Christmas tree moss is probably the easiest. It takes awhile to establish itself, but once it does, it spreads very fast and grows like gangbusters.

Marimo ball, commonly called a moss ball, is actually an algae, btw.

Back
Top Bottom