Moss Balls and Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Little

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello -- I've recently purchased some moss balls (Aegagropila linnaei). I've found myself fascinated by them for a while now, and after researching them online, I bought them locally. While doing my research, I kept seeing this alga shown growing as a carpet on driftwood. I know it's extremely slow growing, but I was wondering if anyone has tried growing it on driftwood yourselves. If so, how do you go about doing it? Is it worth the the time and effort?

I continually find myself seeing things like this and wanting to try my hand at replicating them myself. Any tips or hints, or am I completely nuts?

Hello -- I've recently purchased some moss balls (Aegagropila linnaei). I've found myself fascinated by them for a while now, and after researching them online, I bought them locally. While doing my research, I kept seeing this alga shown growing as a carpet on driftwood. I know it's extremely slow growing, but I was wondering if anyone has tried growing it on driftwood yourselves. If so, how do you go about doing it? Is it worth the the time and effort?

I continually find myself seeing things like this and wanting to try my hand at replicating them myself. Any tips or hints, or am I completely nuts?

Hello Larry...

This is easily done with the moss, but you have to flatten out the ball and with some sharp scissors, cut strips and lay them on the driftwood. Use some similar colored cotton thread and carefully tie the strip to the driftwood, but not too tightly. You want oxygen to flow through underneath the moss. The moss will attach to the driftwood and the thread will dissolve in the tank water. Be sure to use cotton thread, not nylon. Nylon thread never dissolves. You can attach moss to just about anything as long as you can attach it to the piece and secure the moss with thread.

B

Thank you, B.

I'm definitely going to try it, but it will ba a bit later. I'm still getting the tank established at present. A couple of quick questions:

1. Does flattening out cause damage to the moss; how aggressive can one be in doing so? Pancake flat or homemade hamburger patty flat (sorry, food is never far from my mind)?

2. I've read that moss balls need to be turned to keep the undersides from turning brown; I guess this doesn't come into play with mounting it?

Again, thanks for your help.

Larry...

Just be reasonably careful handling and cutting. The plant is pretty tough and any minor damage done will die back a little and then regrow. Generally, the reason for turning the ball is to keep it round. I've always used pea-sized polished gravel on the bottom of my tanks, so the moss balls get oxygen on the bottom. If you want to keep some in a ball, just roll it regularly. I used to roll it when I did the weekly water change.

B

Back
Top Bottom