Moss ID help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightnurse14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this stuff from a guy but didn't get a positive ID on it.
I think the stuff on the right is Java Moss but the hairy stuff has me stumped. It's a big hairy clump. One of my Platy's got caught tight in it and and died. Any ideas what it is would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5107.jpg
    IMG_5107.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5108.jpg
    IMG_5108.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_5111.jpg
    IMG_5111.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 185
The stuff on the right is Java Moss. Unfortunately, the stuff on the left looks like hair algae to me. I have yet to be able to get rid of it myself without throwing out the moss it was attached to :(

Maybe someone else will know how to get rid of it? I'm battling it as well...

leeann82 said:
The stuff on the right is Java Moss. Unfortunately, the stuff on the left looks like hair algae to me. I have yet to be able to get rid of it myself without throwing out the moss it was attached to :(

Maybe someone else will know how to get rid of it? I'm battling it as well...

It may be hair algae but I don't think so. MIT is a large free floating mass I could toss out easily if wanted. It's pretty and great cover for my Platypus fry I just don't know what it is

I don't think any of the pictures are java moss. I don't think it's thick enough.

It does look like hair algae.

amano shrimp eat hair algae as a last resort... maybe get some of them and see if they'll eat it?

You could try the American Flag fish. BTW, I think some have been selling that green mass and passing it on as java moss.

Back
Top Bottom