Moss Walls: Which moss would work best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpulido0316

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, I want to build a moss wall (and eventually a carpet) for my tank. Which of these three mosses would work best for a wall and which of the remaining two work for a carpet?

Java moss, star moss, and weeping moss.

Thanks for all the help! :)

There is a user on here with a moss wall. I think he used Christmas Moss. Cant remember who it was.... I'll try to think of it.

Caleb

There is a user on here with a moss wall. I think he used Christmas Moss. Cant remember who it was.... I'll try to think of it.

Caleb

I think Mattfinn figured it out for you lol.

Attempt at moss wall - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Here's a recent thread on a moss wall that someone did. Hope It helps.

I think Java is probably the easiest to grow too.

Thanks! I think I'll probably do the one sheet and just sew it on with fishing line.

OK. So Java for the wall, and I was thinking Star moss for the carpet (unless anyone objects). I'll be gathering the materials soon and will keep y'all posted. :)

Hi :) my moss wall is still up and going. Haven't had time to update it for two weeks now. And it is indeed christmas moss

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Please keep us posted yes. One sheet is a good idea because as the moss grows you're going to get an uneven growth and you can trim thicker sections and remove the sheet and spread the moss around more.

Star moss isn't fully aquatic, it will last for a short period of time under water maybe a few weeks. It is used in aquascapes that are only going to be setup for a couple weeks. It prefers to have just the bottom of the moss in the water.

I hope it is ok to tag along on your thread. I am wanting to do a carpet and I am thinking of using Christmas moss. I have a 75 gal. Tank and want to add a bunch of shrimp.

I hope it is ok to tag along on your thread. I am wanting to do a carpet and I am thinking of using Christmas moss. I have a 75 gal. Tank and want to add a bunch of shrimp.

You're going to need a lot of moss. If you're doing a carpet then I suggest flame moss.

With mosses in general I've had the most luck with Xmas and flame.

You're going to need a lot of moss. If you're doing a carpet then I suggest flame moss.

Ok I have only had experience with Java. Why do you suggest flame over Christmas moss.. I do not have preference just wanted to know what the difference is.
TIA
Tess

Ok I have only had experience with Java. Why do you suggest flame over Christmas moss.. I do not have preference just wanted to know what the difference is.

TIA

Tess

Look at some flame moss carpets on Google. It grows more vertical then most other mosses. Java just grows anywhere, I haven't had any experience with Christmas but have used flame moss.

I know it's not a moss but subwassertang or pellia moss are some groovy alternatives. I'm currently covering a log with subwassertang.

No problem. I like gaining useful information on mosses since I have a shrimp tank lol. I didn't know star moss wasn't aquatic... Maybe I could still make it work. Do you think making some driftwood stick out and putting it up there would be ok? I really liked the idea of star moss as a carpet.. maybe ill just look into some flame moss instead. :p

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know it's not a moss but subwassertang or pellia moss are some groovy alternatives. I'm currently covering a log with subwassertang.

How are you working with the subwassertang and attaching it to wood?

A friend of mine tried to order some flame moss for his tank internationally and customs got ahold of it. Said it was illegal in the US and burned it then mailed it to him.

that's the story he told me I haven't actually looked to see if it is banned.

Caleb

That sounds really sad and kind of funny at the same time. I can't even imagine just getting the ashes of the plant I wanted in the mail instead. So sad. :(

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How are you working with the subwassertang and attaching it to wood?

Remove the log and placing subwassertang over the area I wanted, I wrapped fishing line around it not super tight as to damage it though. I've also got it on some rocks although I doubt it'll attach itself there.

Look at some flame moss carpets on Google. It grows more vertical then most other mosses. Java just grows anywhere, I haven't had any experience with Christmas but have used flame moss.

Does subwassertang or pellia moss stay close to the ground? I like how they look and might consider them instead if they do.

Does subwassertang or pellia moss stay close to the ground? I like how they look and might consider them instead if they do.

I have only had subwassertang about a month, it grows very easily but as far as direction its got a mind of its own. I'm just trying to get it to spread over a log so its trim and tie down at the moment but pellia moss has a more directed growth from what I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom