moving Java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a huge clump of java moss in my betta tank, and its starting to look a little less green than it did. I would like to cut some off and plant it on some wood destined for another tank. Can I just cut off a clump and tie it? Or is there a better way?

When I have split my java moss, I pull it apart gently from each side and usually I will see a thin spot or two. I continue pulling at the points that the moss is easily separates until I have two clumps. I've never had to cut it with scissors like I have with my other plants.

If I don't want to divide my moss, every few weeks I will rinse it in the water change bucket while reshaping/pulling gently, and this seems to let fresh moss be exposed to the water, so it doesn't start to get brown in the middle. If I do see a big brown patch, it usually pulls away easily, and I reshape the rest. You can tie it to the wood, and after awhile it will take hold. I use very thin nylon fishing line to tie my java fern to a rock. After you tie the moss, you'll probably have some strands floating around. I use a big pair of tweezers to catch the strands and put them on top of the moss clump. If the water isn't moving too fast, as in my betta tank, the little strands will attach back in with the clump. Somewhere in all this rambling, I hope I answered your question! :)

An t-iasg said:
When I have split my java moss, I pull it apart gently from each side

More than I do....I just yank it in two in a second flat....and I have yet to injure the stuff....its like 'the Blob'.

Also, when tying to the other wood, don't tie it in a clump, spread it out a little so the lower java moss won't turn brown and die off. I learned the hard way, lol. Now that I started thin, it's looking good. But because of very low light, it's growing very very slow.

Ah, HA! The first time I tried java moss, I killed it :oops: I just tied the clump I had onto the wood, and it turned black and died. This last time, I bought a piece of wood from the lfs and said NO I do not want the moss. The guy just grabbed the clump and tore it off, but there was still a thin layer left that took off. Thanks lonewolf.

A few weeks ago I tied on a thin layer of Java moss to a piece of branchy driftwood using thread. It took off like crazy and was really growing fast. This week some the the moss tips are turning brown. Is this a nutrient problem? I have 3 wpg and CO2. The rest of my plants seem o.k. Should I trim off the brown tips?

You can trim it up a little. I doubt it's a nutrient deficiency. Give it a small trim and see how things go from there.

Back
Top Bottom