Moving Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slappy Kincaid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to re-scape my 30 gal. tank. I've got some Valliseneria, Pearl Weed, and Hornwort in it. I'm getting a bunch of new plants--dwarf hairgrass, monte carlo, water wisteria, java moss--to add.

In order to redo the tank, I was planning on putting the plants in buckets of water (from the tank) and just putting the light overtop of the buckets while I empty the tank, take out the substrate, and do all my new scaping. It's going to take me a few days to get all the stuff out of the tank and do the new hardscape before I can replant.

Question is, how long can I leave the plants in buckets of water before they start to die off?

If you use the light over the top probably a long time, I have had plants in a bucket for a very long time weeks because I wasn't sure what to do with the extras, with the light over top.

Safety reminder to beware of the light slipping off into the bucket if there are any rambunctious people or animals. Plugging into a a GFCI / GFI plug like a bathroom or kitchen has with wet areas.

Some plants get cranky with changes, but obviously you are rescaping and don't have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom