Moving sword plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to be moving to a new house next week. It's not far - maybe 2-3 hours by car - but obviously the tank needs to be broken down.

I presently have a 55 gallon tank with 8 largish sword plants (Echinodorus sp, mostly bleheri) and a healthy fistful of water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes). The substrate is baked clay - Walmart Special Kitty cat litter - which I don't intend to save, but I will use the same when I set up again.

My intention at the destination is to end up with everything in a 75 gallon tank with the 55 as a sump.

The tank as it exists now will need to be broken down and dried out Sunday afternoon at the latest. It will be delivered to the new house Wednesday sometime, but I'll have the rest of the house to set up too. The 75 gallon tank and tiered stand that will house the sump tank won't arrive until Friday.

What's the best way to do this? My plan right now is to put the plants in a 5 gallon bucket of water with no substrate and drive them over to the new place, with the fish in two other buckets with sponge filters. The filters will just have to be off for the actual drive, but it's only a couple hours. They will, however, be without light for five days unless I were to make a bare-bones setup (tank, water and light fixture with no substrate) for a few days. Is that necessary or worth doing? If it matters, the light is a 4x54W reflected T5HO.

You could potentially mount one of those clamp-on lights that you buy at hardware stores (the ones with the metal cone reflectors) and put at the top of the bucket for a couple hours a day. Just make sure you fill the tank with water change water so that the plants will have at least some nutrients to work with.

The tank water may actually be more depleted in nutrients than tap water because of the fast-growing water lettuce. It's showing significant nutrient deficiency, while the root-feeders look good. The water tests zero for all nitrogen compounds. Fertilizers are locked away until after the move though.

Any idea if the lighting is necessary?

A healthy plant should be able to survive a five day blackout without a problem. Light will help them, but it is not need, strictly speaking.

Back
Top Bottom