Moving/upgrading a 55 gallon planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nippy Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I will be moving about 35 miles away soon and taking my 55 gallon planted tank with me. I have no idea how to do it. Actually, I hope to be upgrading to a deeper tank, like a 75 or 80 gallon tank, during the move. I have to stick with a 4 foot long tank because of my expensive 4' long plant light. lol I don't want to upgrade that, too. Also, I'd like to avoid having to upgrade my filters, heater, and CO2 unit as well. I'm sure my filters and heater are plenty for up to an 80 gallon tank, is a pressurized CO2 5lb tank enough? I'm very, very new at this planted thing.

So, I need to know if my CO2 setup is enough, and how to properly move all my fish and plants 35 miles. I'm assuming fish will go into buckets. Do the plants do the same? Or am I just way off base? I also have a 20 long planted to move. Does it move the same way?

5lb is fine. i had one on my 120. just the bigger the tank the more co2 added the quicker you have to refill it. i would get buckets or rubber maid containers put the fish in them. keep the gravel and media wet. empty the tank move it fill it back up get the heaters filters running. when the temp is stable move the fish back in. plants you can just toss in a plastic bag. even a grocery bag would do just close it and put it in another bag. plants just need to be kept damp. move everything the same way.

Back
Top Bottom