MSU's 75g Photo Log - Updated 9/18/06

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I thought I would put a history of my 75g on here...I have gone from plastic plants to CO2 in a number of months. I have battled algae, learned how to fertilize, and am developing an aquascaping (in progress).

I need some thoughts on the aquascaping portion of things - first, plant list:

from the front left to the front right (September image)-
Alternanthera, Ludwigia Arcuata, Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta'), crystal vals, Ludwigia Arcuata, 2 baby's tears and another ludwigia.

From back left to back right (September image)-
Spiral vals, crystal vals, fake plant (going away), Amazon Sword, fake plant (going away), Amazon Sword, Wisteria, Jungle Val, Sunset Hygro

In the middle of all this is my hardscaping - from left to right - 1 piece of flagstone on 2 petrified woods, another flagstone, 2 driftwoods, and a bunch more of flagstone pile up. The hardscaping basically divides the tank in half (which I do not like), so there are definitively "foreground" and "background" plants, but nothing in the middle.

I would like to take all the hardscaping, and instead of all being in a line down the middle, make an upside down V shape. I am not sure how much of the rocks I am keeping though considering I have more driftwood to put in...dilemma. I still feel that whatever actual hardscape I use will give more "depth" to the tank with this setup. I may actually offset the triangle as well.

As for the plants, I want to bring the big Amazon Swords together, and maybe use the Wisteria as a centerpiece in the back center. I want to bring most of the vals together as well, maybe in the back/middle right. The amazon swords will hide the equipment in the back left corner.

I think I should keep some of the crystal vals in the middle in front of the hardscape to provide some "hiding" effects. I am not sure if I should put the ludwigia all together or not...just havent decided yet.

I am looking into carpets and have not yet decided what to get. I don't have enough light for glosso - maybe 4 leaf clover (marsilea crenata)? As for the Amazon Sword 'compacta', not sure where to put that, the alternanthera, or the sunset hygro. maybe I should move the wisteria to the back right (behind vals), and use the sunset as my center piece (where should I put the alternanthera - in front of the amazon swords?).

Finally, there is the baby's tears - which I just don't know where to put yet...

Hey, I appreciate any help you can offer...I have seen pics of your tanks, and you are all amazing (though you may not think so).

Attachments

• sunset_hygro_140.jpg
    sunset_hygro_140.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 53
  • full_tank_-_sept_155.jpg
    full_tank_-_sept_155.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 61
  • full_tank_-_august_369.jpg
    full_tank_-_august_369.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 61
  • full_tank_-_july_115.jpg
    full_tank_-_july_115.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 63
It sounds like you've got some pretty good plans for rearranging the tank. I would recommend blocking off several hours for the task so that you have plenty of time to work through what you want to do. Take out all the plants and place them in a bucket. This will make it much easier to play with the hardscape. Play with a several different arrangements until you find one that really works well for you. These could all be the same basic upside down V just a matter of figuring out where to put each piece so that it works the way you want. Once the hardscape is set, then you can move on to getting the plants back in place. Start with the once that you know where you want to put them. Then you can play with where the remaining plants fit in with the remaining scape. Don't worry about getting it perfect the first time, as you'll most likely be doing some minor rearranging in a few weeks after you've had some time to live with the new scape for awhile.

You can leave in the fish. They will not mind at all. My angels watch me, to make sure I do things to their satisfaction. I am sorry I didnt read your whole post the first time. I always lay all the plants out on a table to see what I have to work with. I then arrange the hardscape until I am happy with it. I the put the plants in where I think they will work. Sometimes I have ripped everything out twice because I just wasn't happy. If you need to attach anything to driftwood or rocks it is much easier to do while the object to tie the plant on is out of the tank.

You are well on your way to planted tank geekdom. Don't worry, you have plenty of company.

I will echo Rich and Purrbox. It is easier to start with a blank canvas than one that is used. Of course, I haven't followed my own advice recently. :wink:

how long can plants stay out of water before I should worry about damage, etc?

EDIT:

And bacteria on the driftwood/rocks - how long in the air, or should I siphon some water into buckets and use those to house the hardscape?

Yep, buckets are your best friend at times like these. You can keep the hardscape in the buckets.

For plants, I have several of those casserole sized aluminum pan thingys that I keep the plants in while I do the arrangements. They seem to like getting a look outside during these times. You can lay the plants out on paper towels or newspaper. This will keep them moist.

I look forward to seeing how it looks after you are done. I like to use the aluminum pans that Jchillin mentioned. Java ferns seem to be pretty sensitive about getting dried out.

There is plenty of bacteria on your filter, in your gravel, on your fish etc... don't worry about the hardscape drying. Once I have the major scape of a tank done. After that I usually rework sections of a tank at a time, 1/3, 1/5 or 1/2 depending on the tank.

Also, once I have the major elements where I like them. Then, each week as I enjoy watching my tank I consider small changes. Each weekend I make those small changes. It is enjoyable to watch a planted tank evolve, both the plant growth and the general matuiring of the scape itself.

New pics after aquascaping - critiques wanted!

Attachments

• 75g_-_right_side_132.jpg
    75g_-_right_side_132.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 75g_-_left_side_202.jpg
    75g_-_left_side_202.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 75g_-_full_image__pm__122.jpg
    75g_-_full_image__pm__122.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 75g_-_full_image__am__894.jpg
    75g_-_full_image__am__894.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 41
I need some help - I have just recently finished aquascaping this tank, and now I feel I need to get some kind of low foreground (carpet?) plant to assist with the open area in the middle.

Currently, the tank has 2x65w 10k's, PFS, and injected CO2.

I welcome any critique concerning my current "look", and a recommendation(s) on a carpet that should grow in PFS. If possible, a "grass" look would be desired, if that helps.

TIA

I'd say that with your current setup that Dwarf Sag would be your best bet for the grassy look. Another option that would make a nice foreground but isn't grassy is Dwarf Clover (Marsilea Minuta).

Back
Top Bottom