Murky Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian1357

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been doing a fish less cycle in a 20 g planted tank. I took some advice and last night I added API root tabs. Woke up this morning to cloudy tank.
Is this normal after adding root tabs?
BTW the cloudiness looks to have a green tinge to it.
Any ideas?

Heard of this happening with that product before. It should go away. Make a few small wc's or just let it settle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've used seachem root tabs - which I hear are a lot like API - and never had a problem.

It probably has to do with you stirring up the substrate and the root tabs themselves. Make sure they are properly situated under the substrate (1.5 inches deep at least IMO).

The cloud could be caused by opportunistic green algae that comes sometimes when nutrient levels expand. Bacterial blooms are also common in new tanks.

Either way water changes or time will help it go away.

Update

I am quite sure it was an algae bloom. It has now cleared. However my test results seemed to have taken a backward step.
That is before the algae My ammonia was dropping to zero in 24 hrs. I was waiting patiently for my NitrItes to come down.
Now the Ammonia drops to about 1ppm in 24 hrs. NitrItes still high.
Any suggestions?
Cheers
Ian

I am quite sure it was an algae bloom. It has now cleared. However my test results seemed to have taken a backward step.

That is before the algae My ammonia was dropping to zero in 24 hrs. I was waiting patiently for my NitrItes to come down.

Now the Ammonia drops to about 1ppm in 24 hrs. NitrItes still high.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Ian

Not sure but plants use ammonia as fertilizer so it's possible the algae was causing it to drop in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom