Must be doing something wrong...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterDreams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,
My husband and I have a 46gal with a small variety of plants, a few large swords, 1 small sword, java moss, hair grass, and one other whos name I can not remember...

Anyhow.. we are using plant tabs and liquid plant supliments in addition to co2 'tabs'. We also have flourite as the main gravel.. and yet the plants are quickly turning brownish and simply do not appear healthy.

Is there anything we are missing, is there anything we are not doing correctly or anything anyone can suggest? I am no expect with plants but thought there was little else that we could do

-krystal

What is your current wpg? I agree with GM, it may well be a lighting (photophase issue). The CO2 tabs are bad news...they create more problems than they are supposed to cure.

Swords are really a high light plant. You need more light before CO2. As stated, the CO2 tabs are bad news. For a 46 gallon tank, DIY CO2 can become a PIA. You should really consider a real CO2 setup. However, all the CO2 in the world won't help the plants if there's not enough light. What is your light situation?

Hmm ...Well I will not use the co2 if it causes more pain that is solves. As far as lighting, we are going to upgrade and know that might have been a problem.. forgot to mention that in the previous post. We are only at a 30 watt at the moment which of course in a 46 is way too low. My husband knows the correct watt per gallon ratio and as far as the 30 watt goes, it was picked up on accident. When we got home it was like "oh crap did I really pick up a 30..." It was hard finding a 36' inch light to fit the 46gal tank, so when we found one finally, it was just grab it up...

I'm going to agree with greenmagi here krystal. As a newbie to planted tanks you might want to keep it as simple as possible before you go with big lighting.

Are you sure your plants are turning brown, or are you seeing diatom algae forming on them? If your tank is relatively new, diatoms are the first algae to proliferate and are common.

Also,IMO you shouldn't be adding any ferts to your tank (especially CO2 tabs). Consider light as the engine that drives photosynthesis. The more light, the more plants demand nutrients (especially carbon in the form of CO2). Adding ferts to your tank now is like putting fuel in a car that doesn't have a motor. There isn't enough light to drive the nutrient consumption and only the algae is likely to benefit.

I have a planted 55g with a dual strip light of 30w each. This is plenty of light to keep my plants healthy and vibrant (without alot of growth and pruning). I dose this tank with KNO3 only when the nitrates dip below 10ppm (which is rare).

HTH

I will try to condense the advise given...
Get some low light plants to help out-compete algae any at the link will do..
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_list.php?category=1&filter_by=2
And stop using nutrients and CO2 tabs and start changing the water to remove any that might have already been added.. You can use your liquid plant supplements if you ever decide to increase the light once you get some more experiance.. but I would return any CO2 tabs that you havent opened to the store you bought them from.. or throw away any that you cant return to the store....
I HTH.. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom