My 10g planted tank and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O MTS is next on my stocking list. But I've already ran into problems with a few hour of research. Firstly my water I believe is soft (ph 6.6). Thus will affect it's shell development of something. So my initial solution to this is to introduces calcium into the water via crushed shells. Not sure how effective this method is. Another problem is that ive read on other forums that baby trumpet snails get sucked into filters easily. So I'm more concerned for my impeller than the snails. How's Ur take on the latter statement?

I use a cuttle bone (for birds) to help with keeping shells strong, but since you water is much softer, CC might be OK (mine's 7.8, so it'd be too much for me).

My baby MTS do just fine with an AC30 in place, so I'd have to say it's a non-issue.

Mr. Limpet said:
I use a cuttle bone (for birds) to help with keeping shells strong, but since you water is much softer, CC might be OK (mine's 7.8, so it'd be too much for me).

My baby MTS do just fine with an AC30 in place, so I'd have to say it's a non-issue.

What's cc? Hahah and will it increase my ph?

I can't be much help, plant newbie myself. But I just wanna say that that may be the best looking ten gallon I've seen.

Hubert90 said:
And I already have a coral but it ain't crushed. Will adding more corals make any difference?

Not sure, but broken up would give more surface area to dissolve I'd think and CC is use in SW tanks quite often, or Aragonite.

Yep, I have that algae page bookmarked too, I just find the gwapa webpage easier to get info from.

Mr. Limpet said:
Not sure, but broken up would give more surface area to dissolve I'd think and CC is use in SW tanks quite often, or Aragonite.

Yep, I have that algae page bookmarked too, I just find the gwapa webpage easier to get info from.

Ah ok sweet. I'm gonna buy a water hardness test kit. Am I looking for general hardness? Or something else

Alright. So far stock list are
-3 ottos
-1 Betta
-Malaysian trumpet snails
-I also want to get either neon tetra or cardinal. I'm leaning upwards neon because they prefer acidic water which I currently have. How many do u reckon I can keep?

Hubert90 said:
Alright. So far stock list are
-3 ottos
-1 Betta
-Malaysian trumpet snails
-I also want to get either neon tetra or cardinal. I'm leaning upwards neon because they prefer acidic water which I currently have. How many do u reckon I can keep?

I have Cards with my betta and they do good together and 5-6 is a good number for a schooling fish. Just so the fish doesn't have long fins that will set off the betta.

Mr. Limpet said:
I have Cards with my betta and they do good together and 5-6 is a good number for a schooling fish. Just so the fish doesn't have long fins that will set off the betta.

Thanks dude! Cardinal is actually prefers acidic water! Sweet! I'm gonna 6 hopefully more, I would like to fully stock my 10 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom