My African Garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robert H

Aquarium Advice Activist
africangarden.JPG

This is my African garden tank. All the plants come from Africa or African islands. The plants in this 30 gallon are:

Madagascar lace plant, (Aponogeton madagascariensis) Lilaeopsis mauritius, (narrow micro sword), Tiger lotus, (Nymphaea sp.), Anubias barteri var nana, Anubias barteri var coffefolia, Anubias minima, and Bolbitis heudelotii, (African fern)

The substrate is Schultz clay conditioner. Lighting is two overhanging 48 " 40 watt fluorescents, yes the bulbs are longer than the tank! No C02 added.

I wrote about this tank in my monthly column in FAMA magazine. What do you think?

I have used Shultz aquatic soil and found it to light to really hold the plants down. Is the Shultz clay conditioner about the same as the aqua soil or more like fluorite to work with?

Your Madagascar lace plant is so beautiful.

I have used Shultz aquatic soil and found it to light to really hold the plants down. Is the Shultz clay conditioner about the same as the aqua soil or more like fluorite to work with?

It is VERY light weight. I mix it with a little gravel, but as it ages in the aquarium and more mulm settles in it, it gets heavier. I have never used ADA Aquasoil. Its not as dusty as Flourite, and I like the color. Mostly I use it because its cheap and it works. I'm a cheapo when it comes to substrates! :p

The lace plant is really rather big for this tank, but I love how it looks.

is that roots coming from the top of the tank?

Roots from duckweed. Yes. One of the Anubias flowered underwater. Can you see it? I have two female and one male Kribensis in there too.

does duckweed filter out the light that your lower level plants get?

Yes, if you let it cover the top. The plant is a nuisance. It spreads on the surface quickly, and if one little plant gets stuck in a leaf of a plant below and then later floats up to the surface, before you know it its covering the entire surface again!:rolleyes:

The lace plant is interesting. I like the way the tank looks. Are there any african aquatic plants that you can grow as a ground cover? I think some microsword or HC in some patches in the very front would add a lot to the tank.

The grass plant that is in there is narrow leaf micro sword,Lilaeopsis mauritius. I just have it growing in clumps instead of a carpet

Only other one from Africa I can think of is Marselia minuta, it is a short clover like plant that would work

I saw people taking about the duckweed so I thought I would add this in.

If you want a cool looking floating plant that isn't so hard to control like duckweed is, I suggest red root floaters. They have these very cool looking red roots that come down, awesome looking plant. I personally am have trouble finding some, but hopefully soon i'll be able to find some.

I agree Ben, I love that plant! Cute little plant and does not grow extremely fast.

I was wondering how the kribs were doing with the plants I figure it has been long enough to find out if they were safe with your selection of plants. Have they taken to eating them?

Tanks looks amazing for being c02 free... I am digging it a lot, like, enough to do an African themed low tech plant tank myself, if'n you don't mind!

Tanks looks amazing for being c02 free... I am digging it a lot, like, enough to do an African themed low tech plant tank myself, if'n you don't mind!

Glad i could be of inspiration! The tank has come along nicely. My Kribs spawned twice, so i have several young Kribs in there! I replaced the Lace plant with Aponogeton crispus, (not from Africa)

I also added some Anubias nana petite, a miniature nana whose leaves are no bigger than a thumbnail.

You can get more info on the plants from my WEB site. I also have a facebook page, a blog, and a twitter feed!

I have kept kribs in planted tanks for years and never had a problem with them eating ANY plant. They mostly only nibble on leaves that are starting to decay and would be pruned any way. They havn't bothered any of the plants in this tank.
;)

What happened with the lace plant? Do they require more than the low-tech care they were under? I have always shied away from them, not knowing too much about them, always thinking they were too fragile and delicate...

Back
Top Bottom