My amazon sword is dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, my amazon swords are dying, I haven't added any tabs yet and won't for another week at least and I'm pretty worried, I thought, if I cut the roots to 2 inches long, and I add 5 sinking food pellets under them, would that work? Thanks

The sinking food pellets probably won't do anything for you. What's your tank setup? Ferts, lights, CO2, etc? Do you have a pic of the plant in question?

I have led lights, sand substrate, no co2 as its too expensive and liquid carbon will melt away my anacharis away
I'll post a pic if the plant right now

Well, it's been here for about 4 months, it's three of them by the way, but 2 weeks ago I took out my gravel and put in my sand, here it is
img_2634911_0_419ae9b771abafdd876d3cd814b279b6.jpg

You could use DIY co2. It very inexpensive, and works fairly well.
Before I went pressurized I used it. Made a world of difference in plant health, and growth.(y)

When you uprooted it for your substrate change it's having to acclimate and reestablish its roots. Yes cutting the roots encourages new roots to grow. You need to cut off the bad leaves so the plant doesn't waste energy on them. They also appear to have a nutrient deficiency. The Anubia has dark viens and light tissue which indicates a magnesium deficiency. I assume you don't have a Gh and Kh test kit?

When you uprooted it for your substrate change it's having to acclimate and reestablish its roots. Yes cutting the roots encourages new roots to grow. You need to cut off the bad leaves so the plant doesn't waste energy on them. They also appear to have a nutrient deficiency. The Anubia has dark viens and light tissue which indicates a magnesium deficiency. I assume you don't have a Gh and Kh test kit?

Ok I'll take out the bad leaves and cut the roots to 2 inches, I don't have a gh or kh kit, but I do have a diatom bloom an I think those dark markings are diatoms
I'm finding every penny I can to go buy the root tabs

Well, the biggest one is about 8-9 inches tall, one is around 6-7, and the last one is 5

How deeply did you plant the sword? If the rhizome is buried them it'll kill the plant.

Also, I would try excel in the tank. If you're worried about the anacharis then you can start out at a small dose and work your way up until you see it react negatively. Personally I use 4x the dose of excel and my anacharis is doing just fine.

Back
Top Bottom