My anacharis is not doing very well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PESCATORI

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well here I am again... it seems the only time I arrive here is when I'm having difficulties with my Tank. I planted the tank with Anacharis about 4 months ago and they were doing fine up to about a month ago. Lately they have some brown areas on them and are dwindling away these plants are looking terrible. The other plants name unknown, are flourishing they are large leaf bottom dwellers. I have resorted to the books I own but cannot find much on this subject. I would like to save them if possible but it may be too late. HELP! :confused:

Your Anacharis

Hello PES...

I suggest starting with the obvious things, like frequent and large water changes. These will replenish minerals the plants need. For this plant, you need lighting in the 1 to 2 watts per gallon range and it prefers cooler and more acidic water. Next, ferts are a big help for good plant growth and should be added a minimum of two times per week.

B

My reply 2 u

Hello PES...

I suggest starting with the obvious things, like frequent and large water changes. These will replenish minerals the plants need. For this plant, you need lighting in the 1 to 2 watts per gallon range and it prefers cooler and more acidic water. Next, ferts are a big help for good plant growth and should be added a minimum of two times per week.

B

TNX for the reply and suggestions. I forgot to mention that I have a 25 watt 24" fluorescent that I run 5 hours a day. I tried to run it longer but the Algae build up on the walls was terrible with too much light. Interesting that the plants were doing fine until about 3 to 4 weeks ago almost like some fungus has attached to them. The bottom dwellers are doing very well and, the Algae eater is keeping them groomed along with all the walls of the tank. I will look into importing some minerals... obviously I need to read up on this to determine what would be a healthy dose. TNX AGN.

Sil.
:cool:

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure Anacharis is a cold water plant that favors temperatures between 59°F and 68°F.

Any fluctuation in temperature (maybe because it's summer now) could have affected the plant in a negative way.

I have a tank with Anacharis and the Temperature is 80F and I have to trim the plant every 2 weeks or else it would overrun the tank. It might be that you dont have alot of Nutrients in the water column, since Anacharis takes Nutrients from the water column and not the substrate. do you have alot of fish in the tank? the Buildup of some Nitrates feeds plants, especially ones like Anacharis.

Back
Top Bottom