Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My attempt at emersed growth

About a month ago I planted some clippings from L. glandulosa, L. repens, and L palustris in a small pond next to my house. Here is the growth so far.

1st is glandulosa

Next is L palustris (right at the base of the cattail) and L repens (to the right of the cattail). Notice the similarity of emersed growth.

I'm also tring elatine tiandra also. Don't have pics of it yet though.

My goal was to grow plants that are found naturally around my area. Most are rare or extinct in the wild where I live acording to the USDA's site.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Interesting Peyton......I'll be watching this thread.
How big is the pond?

GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The pond is small, about 30'x 50'. It use to be nice but over the years it has filled in. Used to be about 6' deep but now maybe 2' at most. I use to fish in it as a kid. It had 3 huge catfish in it. Use to have some good size bluegill also. Now there is a few bluegill left but the cats are long gone. Cattails and lilly pads has taken it over for the most part now. As soon as I get some extra $$$ I'm going to have it dug out and redone with a liner.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
thats awsome!

I just bought some Ludwigia palustris as a bog plant for my pond. I took some clipping ans am trying it submersed

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton
The pond is small, about 30'x 50'. It use to be nice but over the years it has filled in. Used to be about 6' deep but now maybe 2' at most. I use to fish in it as a kid. It had 3 huge catfish in it. Use to have some good size bluegill also. Now there is a few bluegill left but the cats are long gone. Cattails and lilly pads has taken it over for the most part now. As soon as I get some extra $$$ I'm going to have it dug out and redone with a liner.
That brings back memories of a similar pond that I frequented when I was a kid. (wait......it hurts to think back that far.)
That is great that you plan on restoring it. Have you ever priced a liner that size? I bet it'll cost ya a pretty penny.
GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitcH
That brings back memories of a similar pond that I frequented when I was a kid. (wait......it hurts to think back that far.)
That is great that you plan on restoring it. Have you ever priced a liner that size? I bet it'll cost ya a pretty penny.
I may just line it with a few layers of the thick plastic sheeting to be honest. I done it before years ago with a goldfish pond I had and it worked ok. I'm not sure yet though.

It looks terrible compared to when I was a kid. The water level has dropped at least a foot or two also because the main drain, which is a 4" pipe in the middle, has a crack down the side of it.

I remember when my dad was looking at this place my grandpa was going to buy one half of the property and my dad the other. The half my grandpa was getting was the part with the pond. He said he was going to fill in the pond and put a house there. I begged and begged my dad to buy it all so we can have the pond and he did. Now my home is right beside the pond.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very cool, the colour of that glandulosa is just awsome

90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com