My bettas in their java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An t-iasg

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here are some pictures of my bettas in their java moss "nests". I used clear plastic suction cups to "anchor" the moss to the side of the tank. The picture only shows one suction cup -- now there are two in front, and one on the side. I removed the metal hook that was on the suction cup. The moss rests on the little "nub", but that seems to be enough to anchor it. It stays in place and doesn't float around. After a water change, I've learned to wait about 20 minutes for the water to stop moving before I replace the moss on the suction cups, and it stays right in place. The water isn't moving a lot after a water change, but it does help the moss stay in place (and keep me from chasing little pieces) if I wait a little bit before I put it back. BTW, nothing like taking a picture to show all the water spots on the front of the glass! Benny is the light blue one, and Kenny is the blue/red one. Kenny is the one who guards his moss like a pit bull, and he gets agitated when I remove it for a water change.

Very nice! Benny and Kenny certainly look happy with their java moss digs!
I did something similar in my betta tank.
I threaded a plastic electrical cable zip-tie around the java moss and through the suction cup nub.

Thank you, everyone! I certainly try to keep my bettas happy! :)

QTOFFER, the cable tie idea is a good one. We have tons of that stuff, in different sizes, in a big jug in the garage. Right now I've been using it to keep my suet bird feeder closed -- so the squirrels can't open it!

krap101, my moss just stays put on the suction cup nubs. Look at one of the pics -- you'll see the smaller circle in the middle of the cup. That's the "nub" -- it had the metal hook fastened to it when I bought the cups, but I took that hook off. I was pleasantly surprised when the moss stayed, but I may try QTOFFER's idea also -- I could possibly go from 3 cups per moss to 2. But as long as I wait 20 minutes or so after a water change, before putting the moss back, it stays. I know Kenny isn't happy about waiting, though! I can almost see his little eyes glaring at me!

Back
Top Bottom