My first plants... HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angel.Zero

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read a bunch of stuff on this subject but I am still confused about something. watts per gallon, I have 2 15w flourecents. I am not sure if I am reading the watts correctly or not. but they are "aqua-glo" bulbs from petco that are 18,000K (whatever that means). they say they are ideal for planted aquariums but at 15 watts/ea. I can't see how? Maby someone could tell me if these are a good good starting point? I have a couple umbrella plants in the tank now (Plan to add plants slowly).

lol you plants will be fine in that :lol: wot size tank is it ?

How big is the tank? Divide the tank size by the total watts. Here's my setup.

260W CF / 75G = 3.46w/g. But because mine is CF, it's a little more than that. There is another thread in here where the old w/g rule is being worked on. But with regular florescents, your w/g will be 30W/xG.

You should be able to grow just about any low-light plants, like java moss, java fern, ect. Anything else will depend on your lighting.

So, 30W/55G is less than 1w/g. Not much you can do there, other than maybe java moss, java ferns, maybe anubias. There's places you can get some better lighting at a decent price. I got mine on Ebay for 99.00. Also, if it's the same tank as mine, you would also want to get glass tops instead of the hood. I have the same tank, with the same lights, and even the small bit of java moss I have in it isn't doing so well. So I'm planning on an upgrade soon.

If they're actually 18,000K lights I would recommend replacing them with lower K rated lights. Lights rated between 5000 and 10000K work best for growing plants. K rating is merely an approximation of the appearance of a bulb's color to the human eye. Therefore a wide range of K temps will work for growing plants, but 18,000K is too far outside the good range to be very useful, IME. Does it have a strong blue color?

It seems to have a greyish color and it doesn't seem as bright as the "regular" bulbs. $99 isn't fesable at this time but I would like to upgrade at some point in the future. It is 1.893 watts per gallon or something like that.

I am familiar with those bulbs. I used to have them on my 75 gal. If I'm not mistaken, they do have 40w bulbs in that brand. I would suggest getting the 40w bulbs, which will give you 1.45wpg and see if that helps prior to going for a new light strip.

If these are not to your liking, and you have an All-Glass tank, you could look into the dual 110w Compact flourescent light strip (BigAls carries them, if I recall it was $89.00). That will put you at 2wpg.

Angel.Zero said:
It seems to have a greyish color and it doesn't seem as bright as the "regular" bulbs. $99 isn't fesable at this time but I would like to upgrade at some point in the future. It is 1.893 watts per gallon or something like that.

Actually, if your 2 florescents are 15W each, that's less than 1w/g.

30/55= .545w/g

If I'm not mistaken, they do have 40w bulbs in that brand. I would suggest getting the 40w bulbs, which will give you 1.45wpg and see if that helps prior to going for a new light strip.

The 40w bulbs are 4' his are 15w so 18" each I think, if they are 2' then they would be 20watts..

If you really want to grow plants, then replacing those fixtures with ones with 2 bulbs each would work well..

Back
Top Bottom