My Grow Bucket "tank"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

octanejunkie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Being new to the hobby I found myself addicted to new plants and acquiring too many plants for our one 6-gallon tall tank, so I set up a grow tank. It occurred to me that glass tanks are more for our benefit than their inhabitants, so I setup the "tank" in a 3.5 gallon bucket.

OSH sells a 3.5 Gallon bucket, like a short 5-gallon, with a black foam padded handle in the paint department for $3.49. I have bought 3 of these so far and use them for acclimation, water changes (new water and siphoned water in different buckets), quarantine/hospital, and grow out. I have also used this for soaking small pieces of driftwood for several days, harboring plants, etc. they are very useful

Here is the overall setup
20130821_064728.jpg

Filter
I bought 4 Azoo Palm filters from DrFosterSmith.com for $9 each and set them up with AquaClear 20 bio max bags and two grades of foam, the Azoo black foam and AquaClear 30 Foam cut to size. I seeded these in the bucket with my excess plants and old filter media from our 6-gallon tank. I stoked this with a course of Stability.
20130821_064758.jpg

Lighting
For lighting I am using these 3W Dolphin LED clamp-on 6500° white lights from Amazon for $26 each. They fit up to 1/2" thick wall. These lights run 12V DC, 1.5Amp so an alarm or cctv power supply (panel) or Malibu timer/transformer could power tons of these to reduction of plug-strip/transformer clutter. For now I'm dealing with transformers.

Maintenance
After a about a week green slime had accumulated all over the inside of the bucket. Rather than clean it I added a pair of CAE, Chinese algae eaters (gyrinocheilus) and within a day or two they cleaned the bucket walls and moved on to the plants. I will need to feed them once everything is clean, but the advantage to having these guys in the tank is their waste will keep the BB in the filters' media active.

I also do weekly water changes, about 50%...
20130821_064816.jpg

Any issues to a setup like this, long term?

Last edited:
Interesting... this is really thinking outside the box, or should I say "bucket?" ;)

Long term problems? none that I can think of, unless it becomes an eyesore?

Long term problems? none that I can think of, unless it becomes an eyesore?

It's a short term project, yes, but not on my kitchen counter would be better.

Wonder if I could put a rack outside and keep a few buckets until it gets too cold for a small heater to keep reasonably warm. Unfortunately I don't get direct sunlight on my patio.

Back
Top Bottom