Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My Ideal Situation - What to do to get it?

Hi Guys,

I am gathering ideas and starting to get an idea of what i would like my new project to look like. I have renovated a 20gal long and i am planning on setting it up for a medium to heavily planted set up.

I would like to have some red plants aswell as various tall, short, broad and thin leaved plants. So a range basically.
With the red plants though, i realise they require more than adequate lighting. I was wandering what sort of lighting i would require to grow these plants? I'm not after the difficult to grow highly demanding plants but i would like my tank to suitable to house most plants that i buy. (which would be the usual..cabomba, amazon swords etc..)

I will be making another CO2 injection system and i am looking around for the best deal on Eco Complete. So with good lighting then surely that would be fine for a good range of plants?

Any help will be appriciated.
TIA.

Satsumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

EcoComplete, $22 for a 20 lb bag, free shipping on aquariumplants.com
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Eco_Co...rate_p/eco.htm

Old 10-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
I think a 65w fixture would allow you to grow some red plants. Rotala rotundifolia would be pinkish-red under that light, Alternantha would grow nicely, and there are quite a few others that would grow well, especially if you add CO2.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

22 bucks shipped for eco complete is a good deal I think I'm gonna order a couple bags.......and I'm using a 65W CF on my 20G long......everything is growing like weeds.
GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That is a good deal but do they ship to the UK?
I think my best deal so far is on e-bay so i might go for that. One bag should cover my tank i would say.

So 65 watt's would be ideal? I would like to be free to buy whatever plant's i come across knowing that they have a good chance of growing healthily. There would be some which would demand more nurishment and better lighting no doubt but the ones which i would see in my LFS are the easy to moderate difficulty plants which i would like to think i could grow well.

Yeah i will be adding CO2, i have it in my other tank and the plants are doing well. If there were a better light then i imagine they would be really healthy.
I would also like to grow some ferns, crypts and anubias but how would they do in light?
I will try to find some shaded areas for them but if i can't how would they do in light providing it's a 65W?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh sorry - my bad - the free shipping is in the continental US only
Old 10-23-2006, 06:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No worries.

I am however a little worried with the hood i ordered a few days ago. I don't think it will be compatable with any light other than a standard T8. I will have to wait and see but i'm not too confident.

Also the only available lights at my LFS are all standard T8's with 30W being the most powerfull.
http://www.aquariumsuperstore.co.uk/...freshwater.asp This and other's like the Flora-glo, Sun-glo and Life-glo are all easily available to me. I am a total newbie when it comes to more advanced lighting, if i wasn't bothered about plants i would buy one of those.

What do i need for the 65W lighting with regards to the light or lights and also the hood? (newbie question sorry )

EDIT:
Am i on the right tracks with something like this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Interpet-Tripl...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Are 36" 65 Watt lights even made?
I've looked all over the net and i can't find any!

I got my new hood and heater today, i've ordered some eco complete and my filter is on the way aswell it's set me back 120 pounds already!!
I just need to know some more about lighting and then when that arrives i should be pretty much ready for plants!
Old 10-24-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I only found 2x65watts when looking at the 30" fixtures, which probably only have a partial overlap of the bulbs. Another option would be to go with the 96 watt fixture and use a 50/50 bulb. This would give you 48 watts of usable light for you plants. Not quite as good as a 65 watt fixture would have been but still able to grow low light plants. Otherwise you're probably stuck with building your own fixture to get the specific amount of light you want.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm lost there i'm afriad!

So there aren't any 36" 65 watt bulbs around. A 96 watt seem's like a massive amount of light! i don't understand the 50/50 bulb part though

I would like to be able to have a good selection of plants to choose from with no worries that they will die or not be healthy. I'm not after the difficult to grow plants which require expert attention but i would like to be able to house intermediate difficulty plants with easy to grow plants coming on a treat.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

A 50/50 bulb is half Daylight and half Actinic. The Actinic portion is for the most part not usable by plants. Thus a 50/50 bulb would effectively halve the amount of light over the tank. Unfortunately this would limit you to mostly low light plants, although you might be able to get away with some medium low light plants as well. I really don't think that this lighting solution would meet your goals. You're best bet is to build your own if you willing to give it a go.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Standard 20g long tanks over here are 30 inches long...that is why I mentioned the 65w fixture. I didn't realize your tank was 36 inches long. Most 36 inch fixtures are 96w or 2x96.

Are you sure its 36 inches? That is going to be hard to find lighting for, I'm afraid. You may be better off making your own fixture. Then you can have as much light as will fit over the tank.

Can you get Coralife brand light fixtures in the UK? If so, you could buy the 30 inch 65w fixture and buy the adjustable legs, which should fit on a 36inch long tank, I think. But even with that, you'd have some spots in the tank (sides) that wouldn't receive alot of light. So you'd have to be careful which plants you put there. I have a 30 inch 65w fixture, so I know they have them. I just don't know if they are available to you in the UK.

The Flora-glo and all the other -glo bulbs have different Kelvin ratings, but will all be the same wattage, whichever one fits in the hood. You just have to read carefully to find the K rating...sometimes its hard to see on the package.

I browsed around on the UK ebay page and found:
A 36 inch 2x25w fixture which would give you 2.5 watts per gallon and would allow you to grow medium and low light plants. You may be able to grow some high light plants, but only the medium-high light ones. I am not sure how good this brand is because I've never heard of it.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh right, yeah i'm positive that my tank is 36 inches long. It does seem a bit of an odd number as i can't find any lighting that is 36".
Here are my measurements...
Width: 90cm (35.43")
Height: 36cm (14.17")
Depth: 30cm (11.81")
My tank's volume is 97200 cubic centimeters or 97.2 liters, which is approximately 24.99 U.S. gallons or 20.8 Imperial gallons.

No i don't think i can get Coralife over here. I haven't seen any in my LFS or on e-bay but i am yet to have a thorough look. I did buy a hood off ebay on thursday which arrived today, stupidly i didn't think through exactly what i was doing so i now have a standard hood. During the time after i bought the item i began to read up a little and start to get into the idea of a heavily planted tank...typical really!

With a 30" light there would be 3" at either sides of the tank that would recieve a limited amount of light. I would say the sides are vital for my idea of having two built up sides and a low middle...again typical! I'm not sure if there are any taller plants that would be ok there?

On the -glo bulbs i think there is a Kelvin rating on the top of the package. I don't really understand the K rating's so i usually just look at the wattage The Flora-glo bulbs are 2,800K. There all 20-30 watt's though and it's impossible to find a 65 watt bulb. Would i need 2 bulbs?

Thanks for searching to find that. Unfortunately money is tight at the moment, making my own fixture sounds cheaper but i would like to buy a 36" 65W bulb if that's possible? Also now that i have a standard hood aswell.

The Hood
It seems like i will have to just get something like this 58 watt's won't be enough for red plants will it?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARCADIA-LIGHT-...QQcmdZViewItem

I took some pictures of my hood, it's a standard 36"x 12" with 'light starter' storage at the back. I am a little confused at the moment though and i was wandering if someone could assist me?...

1. What exactly is the light starter? The name no doubt tells me but what is so special about it and why isn't there a normal switch to turn it on and off?

2. What is the best solution for plant growth with regards to my hood? Can i fit 2 bulbs in there etc...?

3.How do i fit a light into my hood?! I've only ever had to just screw a light in and this hood doesn't have the fittings. I will have to buy and install the fittings but i can't see where they go.

Old 10-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry about the double post but my new filter...Fluval 205 isn't at all compatable with the hood i bought off ebay. I thought about drilling into the hood to make suitable holes for the inlet and output but it can't be done.

This is more of a hood question really but on the leaflet/book i recieved with my filter there is a picture of an established tank which has a hood with 4 flap like features which open for filter inlet and output's. The flap's are positioned near the 4 corners of the hood and this would be great if i could get hold of one. It seems like a bit of a longshot but i don't suppose any of you know what i'm on about do you?

If i can't get hold of one of those then i may have to look at hood canopies like this one...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Light-Luminair...item7730958778

Would i be able to have 65 watt lighting with that though?!
Old 10-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've sent a message to the seller of the item (link in post above ^) and they haven't replied, it's been 4 days now.
I just want to know if i can fit a more powerful light to that hood?

Can anyone on here help me out please?

TIA.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com