My Long Awaited 100g Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI][FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]Finally, here is my 100g. Well not quite yet, but it's getting close. I guess I need to curb my enthusiasm a little. Let's start at the beginning. Feel free to skip ahead. Just about a year ago, I was given this 100g tank. <Score!!!>. I had, and still have, a 55g community tank running, but like everyone else on here, it just wasn't enough for me. Problem was, the stand was a piece of garbage and needed to be replaced. I refused to overpay for something I could make myself. That lead to another problem. With 2 small daughters, my free time was limited, so there my tank sat in the garage. All last winter, the whole spring and summer, and into the fall. Came time to clean the garage out for the winter, and I looked at the tank for the 300th time, and I said "It's time." Winter is fast approaching, and I'll have plenty of time to work on it, scape it, add things, change things, yea...this stand needs to get done now. So I spent the next 3-4 weekends working on it. I started with a 2x4 frame to support the 1/2 ton of weight. Then to dress it up I added custom oak panels that would look good stained. (Plus, a 100g tank on a 'nice' looking piece of furniture will get passed the wife a little easier, especially when she thinks the 55g I have is already too big. She just doesn't get it.)

I decided that between the limited time I had to work in an unheated garage before it got to be a typical northern Minnesota autumn day (colder then heck) and quite frankly my lack of superb woodworking skills, the simpler the design, the better. It took a while for me to figure out exactly how to do the lid where it would still be fully functional for my needs, yet not look too awkwardly large. This is what I came up with:

[/FONT] [/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
Not too bad, 'eh?

Now it was time for finish and lighting. After running various ideas and thoughts past the gurus on here, and knowing more or less what type of plants I have and might want, and knowing I had to keep it cheap, I settled on 3 shop light fixtures. Each runs two 4' 40W T12NO bulbs, totaling 240 total watts, or 2.4 watts per gallon. I'm hoping that it will be sufficient to sustain the plants I currently have in my 55g at roughly 1.75 wpg, even though the new tank is 6" taller. I'll be following up on that later in my little story here. I also splurged and got some under cabinet lighting for inside the stand because I hate the lack of lighting in my current stand and not being able to find things without a flashlight sometimes.

Anyway, I just got the tank inside and on the stand now, and this is how it looks: Forgive my towel background....
[/FONT]

.....And these are the 3 pieces of driftwood I think I'll be using in it. Not 100%, and I've got hundreds to choose from, so we'll see.

Anyway, this is where my tank is as of tonight. I'm hoping this weekend to find time to at least start the process of dirting this tank. My current one is your standard gravel from the pet store for a substrate, and I want to go all out for this new tank. I've got the Miracle Gro Organic Garden Soil, a softball sized clump of red clay to marbleize and scatter across the bottom, and some Osmocote+ to mix with the dirt. I'm thinking that since I have some MTS in my 55g and can use them in my 100, I might take the gravel from the 55 and mix it with the dirt as well as a filler and as a way to easily transfer the little guys over. We'll see if it happens this weekend or not.

So, thanks for reading my post, stay posted for my updates as they happen, and feel free to comment and give me your thoughts with what I should (and shouldn't) do with this project!

PS. I hope my pictures loaded correctly....

Well, the pictures loaded fine on my computer, but not on my phone, so I'll repost them here. Sorry if you have to look at them twice...

Attachments

• cnst2.JPG
    cnst2.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 142
  • cnst1.JPG
    cnst1.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 145
  • cnst3.JPG
    cnst3.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 149
  • cnst4.JPG
    cnst4.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 166
And the rest of the pictures...

Attachments

• fin1.JPG
    fin1.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 155
  • fin2.JPG
    fin2.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 150
  • fin3.JPG
    fin3.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 155
  • wood1.JPG
    wood1.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 166
So I'm starting to think about what plants I have, their possible placements in the new tank, and some plants I might like to have. I currently have an oversized lily which I think I'll keep for the red it adds, an argentine sword, an unknown sword, a type of sag, dwarf sag, crypts, anubias, Java ferns, sprite, and a few others I can't think of their names. I've had stem plants in the past, but I've always had trouble with them losing their lower leaves and making a mess, so for now I'd like to avoid them. What I think I would like would be done kind of shrub-looking plant...some kind of half hemisphere look that would get maybe 6" tall and maybe 9" round. It's a vague description but I'm hoping that someone will have done ideas that could work. (Recap from above: dirted tank, 240w lighting, 24" tall tank, press. CO2, pps ferts. ) Thanks as always!!

PS. I was thinking of trying to have my anubias twist up the one piece of driftwood on the right. Would the rhizome grow like that, or is it more of a horizontal growth only??

I understand you don't want stem plants but some would work fine in your setup. Try some easy ones like Ambulia's, Hydro's, and Alternanthera reineckii. The stem plants will help break up the scape with some different shapes and textures.

As for the anubia and twisting... the rhizome usually grows straight but if you were really patient and watched the rhizome you could tie it down as it grows out and train it to go in the direction you want. It will take some work but IMO it can be done.

I like the red? ambulia ( I think that's its generic term ) and the alternanthera reineckii... I just have to find some. What about a shrub-like plant. Any suggestions?

I like the red? ambulia ( I think that's its generic term ) and the alternanthera reineckii... I just have to find some. What about a shrub-like plant. Any suggestions?

Any of the species of Hygrophilia can get quite full and bushy.

Pretty exciting project, you did a great job on the cabinet. As a wife myself, I d like it just fine.
Maybe try placing the DW together in the middle? Just a thought. It s gonna look good , keep the pics coming :).

I'm starting to second guess myself. I like those three pieces of driftwood, but will it be too much when the plants go in?? What do you all think of just two pieces??

Attachments

• image-1460724668.jpg
    image-1460724668.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 120
  • image-3666558916.jpg
    image-3666558916.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 111
I like the two on the left. How about putting both pieces off to one side and building up to them with plants. Just my two cents. :)

My only concern is that both those pieces are shorter and don't quite "fill" the tank like either of the right pieces... I don't want them to get buried by the plants like the pieces I have now are...

Attachments

• image-1649456808.jpg
    image-1649456808.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 131
I'm starting to second guess myself. I like those three pieces of driftwood, but will it be too much when the plants go in?? What do you all think of just two pieces??

Try this, take the ones on the right, move the tall one to the left side of the tank towards the back and move the shorter one so it's not centered so more to the left but more forward even if it touches or overlaps the tall piece making it look like one complex piece of DW. By moving them together and slightly off center to the left your usng them as your focal point that you can plant around but leaves the middle to right side for planting. You can use the large sword to help balance height out on the right side of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom