My new 10 gal planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely suggest a surface plant. Bettas like diffused light and some protection to hide under. They and the surface plants prefer lower current, so the HOB filter you have might be a bit much, unless you can adjust it. Their delicate, long fins can be damaged by strong filters and they are fairly slow swimmers, so it can be a nuisance for them to deal with the current.

Some good surface plants are water lettuce, frogbit, salvinia minima and duckweed. Just make sure none of them are illegal in your state. I sorted them by growth speed with duckweed being the most aggressive.

Bettas also enjoy a good moss like java, christmas or marimo balls. I definitely recommend something with some nice size for the betta to lazily hang around. Java fern, anubias or amazon sword are good choices. I can't exactly tell what you have in there now, sorry!

You're on your way to a very happy betta.

Thank you very much for the info. The filter is adjustable, I put it on high right now since I am cycling the tank. Right now I have anubias. Thank you for the plant suggestions I will definitely look into the ones you mentioned.

+1 on the filter. What type is it? If you are getting some heavy turbulence in your tank once you put the Betta in I would try sliding it further to the corner. If that doesn't work try a sponge filter and airstones.

There are several low light plants you could use to fill in your tank a bit as Jack pointed out. You could also put a floating log in there for cover. Seemed to work well with my Bettas. Like this one......

Zoo Med Floating Aquarium Log, Small https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FMWPBK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_6c1IBbWJ4SYNX

As Fisher said, you can always stick the filter in the corner to minimize the current. You can even use drift wood or plants to block it a little and make it gentler.

If you end up having to go with an air pump/sponge combo, they are quite affordable. The Tetra Whisper 10g would be a fine air pump for your setup.

I thought that may have been anubias lanceolata in there, but wasn't sure! It will get some decent size on it.

What type of betta are you going to be keeping? Be sure to keep us updated as things progress!

Back
Top Bottom