My new jungle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Averageprodigy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted my first post here to show some basic shots of my newly (one month) planted 40 gallon breeder

Attachments

• image-4148390576.jpg
    image-4148390576.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 300
  • image-1740729190.jpg
    image-1740729190.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 281
  • image-3017410330.jpg
    image-3017410330.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 291
The tank is a bit full livestock wise but here in the east village it seems fitting.

The stable currently is as follows:

6 zebra danyos (2 leapord morph)
4 rummy nose tetras
7 serpae tetras
9 tiger barb (3 green morph all small)
4 guppies (all male)
2 swordtail
1 platy
1 blue dwarf gourami
1 dragonfish goby
20 ottos
2 African dwarf frogs

Plant life is still something I'm trying to learn more about... Fish are easier to identify...

What are the dimensions of your tank?

I'm loving the plants. Your tank looks really nice. :D

Yea I'm a bit crazy when it comes to algae removal and my shrimp kept dying plus they were super lazy compared to the ottos who seem to work tirelessly...

The dimensions are 36x18x16

Hi (we share the same tank) attached a clearer photo! Love how much our java moss has grown!

Attachments

• image-440444803.jpg
    image-440444803.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 275
Coleallensmom said:
Looks like a powder blue dwarf gourami...

I think you are correct... Could also be a cobalt I'm going to get a replacement partner for him today. I have a pretty extensive recently renovated petco about three blocks away and an amazing lfs about 20 blocks away and I always get lazy and purchase fish at petco which other than my Serpae tetras (two did die initially) have all died (Amano shrimp,guppies, clown loaches and now this beautiful dwarf gouramis).

But now I'm stuck in this never-ending series of returns and exchanges so I don't end up completely wasting my money. To their credit they're understanding when you tell them their animals die on you.

Any crazy petco stories??

It's not uncommon to have fish deaths when you buy fish from chain stores. That's a lot of fish to lose though. Assuming your tank has finished cycling...how do you acclimate your fish when you bring them home from your lfs? The right acclimation procedure can help minimize issues.

Truthfully I'm a bit of a darwinist when it comes to the tank... And although that might seem like a lot of fish I'd say other than the clown loaches which went in too early all of the animals I got were clearly the sick/week ones of the bunch courtesy of bad conditions on petco's end... From my amazing LFS I've never had a single animal perish

I find the local mom/pop shop have healthier fish at a higher price, and no guarantee. But they care about their fish and make sure they feed them well. However, the chain stores give you a good 2 to 4 weeks guarantee and when they have a sale, its hard to beat.

Tank looks great.

Averageprodigy said:
The tank is a bit full livestock wise but here in the east village it seems fitting.

The stable currently is as follows:

6 zebra danyos (2 leapord morph)
4 rummy nose tetras
7 serpae tetras
9 tiger barb (3 green morph all small)
4 guppies (all male)
2 swordtail
1 platy
1 blue dwarf gourami
1 dragonfish goby
20 ottos
2 African dwarf frogs

Plant life is still something I'm trying to learn more about... Fish are easier to identify...

Is that dragonfish goby the same what I think it is? Violet to blue body, elongated with a nice big head and beady eyes? Cuz those puppies need brackish water.

And get to be like two feet long!

Is that dragonfish goby the same what I think it is? Violet to blue body, elongated with a nice big head and beady eyes? Cuz those puppies need brackish water.

And get to be like two feet long!

The Dragon goby can reach a size of 24 inches in the wild but when kept in aquariums it usually doesn't grow beyond 15 inches. You are right though...they really do need very clean brackish water to thrive. Not a very good match for an overstocked freshwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom