my pest snail nightmere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brothergc

Aquarium Advice Activist
I do not know how it happened or exactly when but somehow , someway , I got some pest snails . They were relentless , I would spend time picking them out . They were even inside the filter box ! :banghead:
I have a 20 Gal long that had 2 anubias nana , and 3 java ferns doing ok with regular pea gravel as a substraight. I have a beta , 5 neons, 2 sunburst plattys , and 2 black nerite snails .
I researched ways to ridmyself of this mess . I considered clownloaches but my nerite snails would probally be lunch for them and with such a small tank that realy would be bad news for the loaches . Thought of assin snails , but IMO , because they can breed in the tank, that would be trading one problem for another ?
So they way I hopefully solved the problem was a total teardown of the tank .
I emptied it , putting my fish/nerite snails in a bucket , my plants in another container , I went to work . I dumped all the gravel in the trash, tore down the filter boxes and rinced them in scalding hot water . ( wow the snails flew off the parts) Scrubbed the tank itself in plain water, then drying the glass with paper towels , making sure it was free of any spot , or slime .
As for the plants Here is what I found that works , I took and made a bleach soulition , 2 capfulls of bleach ( 5 ml per gallon) and swished my plants in the soulition for 15 seconds . Then quickly, I had another bucket with plain water, swished the plant into that . WOW you should have seen the snails fly ! They just fell off .(y)
I later discovered that this bleach treatment had a added benifit , it killed all the alge on the plant !
Now on to the substraight , I got some seachem flourite 2 15lb bags . (one was almost enough but not quite to get a inch deep) Good lord this stuff is dirty . If you get this stuff be prepared to rince, rince , and when Your done , rince again !
I hope that this works , I was not real happy with the plain jane gravel anyway seeing that I wanted to expand my plant selection.
Yesterday went to petco and got 2 potted amazon swords . As soon as I got them home they got the bleach bath . Lesson learned the hard way ! Hope that this helps someone :)

oh wanted to add that the bleach , after 24 hours, seemed to have no ill effect on my plants . In fact they are perking up nicely.
Also know that replacing the substraight may result in having to recycle the tank so keep a eye on the amonia levels.
Here is a pick of all my completed work

Attachments

• IMG_20170131_074540.jpg
    IMG_20170131_074540.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 48
I had to do something similar last year. It worked but amazingly enough some eggs somewhere survived. Keep a snail trap out for 2 months and check the tank every morning before lights on.

I had to do something similar last year. It worked but amazingly enough some eggs somewhere survived. Keep a snail trap out for 2 months and check the tank every morning before lights on.

you say " similar" could you expand on that ? was it exactly what I did ? Oh I hope I did not waste my time

I tossed my substrate and used boiling hot water on anything inorganic. The plants were salt water dipped.
I also but boiling water on the substrate to keep the snails from languishing.

Surprised they were that bad. Thats pretty wild. I enjoy all the so called pest snails.

I tossed my substrate and used boiling hot water on anything inorganic. The plants were salt water dipped.
I also but boiling water on the substrate to keep the snails from languishing.

Me my substraight was put out in the freezing cold so I am sure those snails are popsickles by now :brows:
perhaps Your saltwater treatment was not strong enough ? ( guessing here )
one thing for sure no snail survives bleach or any other pests

Surprised they were that bad. Thats pretty wild. I enjoy all the so called pest snails.

they can get to the point where they start putting a strain on the bioload . a few snails are nice , 500 plus snails are bad news . look on youtube their are some pretty extreme examples of this .
The ones I had were starting to eat my plants . I would find small holes rittled in the java fern . Not a pretty sight

Me my substraight was put out in the freezing cold so I am sure those snails are popsickles by now :brows:
perhaps Your saltwater treatment was not strong enough ? ( guessing here )
one thing for sure no snail survives bleach or any other pests

It was strong enough to melt my Java fern back to the rhizome. But it recovered.

Back
Top Bottom