My ph is8.2 is that norm or high my hardness 200 could that cause a ph rise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonnywalkup

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My ph is8.2 is that norm or high my hardness 200 could that cause a ph rise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow thats liquid rock! My tap's alkalinity is in that range. I would say it depends on what's in your tank. Certain rocks would cause your ph to rise.

Holly raises. Driftwood and peat moss lower. What filter setup and decor do you have? And what size tank?

That's high... And no hardness won't change ph (although some ph buffers can change hardness). ;)

My water is basically the same, except my ph is 8.6. I avoid using any rocks in my tanks, just incase it raises the ph/hardness, if that's possible! I have used slate though, without any changes.

My water is basically the same, except my ph is 8.6. I avoid using any rocks in my tanks, just incase it raises the ph/hardness, if that's possible! I have used slate though, without any changes.

8.6? Yikes!

If ya'll have a canister filter, just rinse some peat moss off, put it in a baggy (like you would carbon), and toss it in the filter.

Unless, of course, everything is living and thriving- then who cares. :)

Is this the pH straight out of your tap or does it lower with 24hrs of aeration?

Andysol said:
8.6? Yikes!

If ya'll have a canister filter, just rinse some peat moss off, put it in a baggy (like you would carbon), and toss it in the filter.

Unless, of course, everything is living and thriving- then who cares. :)

I'm telling you, I'm always scared to try "sensitive" species! But so far the only fish that ever gave me issues were sparking gouramis, and they were wild caught! I ha my harlequin rasboras spawn in the tank recently too, so I guess all is well.

Out of the tap it is 7.8- isn't that nice?
After 48 hours of gassing out in a bucket, it's 8.4- oh poo.
All 5 tanks read a ph of 8.6 each week- well, if they're all alive and breeding I'm happy.

So to the OP, don't worry too much about your water. Just make sure you drip acclimate everything! I even drip acclimate plants, because sometimes they melt if i don't.

I tried putting peat moss into my HOB filters, but there was no change. I also make extensive use of driftwood!

My water is from well 7.5 when i start then it keeps rising my decor is drift wood and a couple fake plants , three fake rocks

Back
Top Bottom