My Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botia4Life

Aquarium Advice Regular
Unfortunately, I didn't see the sticky until two months into my planted tank. I have a UGF in my 55 planted with a penguin bio-wheel 350. That pretty much goes against the sticky, what can I do to minimize my huge mistake? I also had carbon filter cartridges in there that whole time. Are they really that bad?

The under gravel filter isn't THAT bad IMO. But if you dont want to use it, just disconnect it and leave the plate where it is and get another type, canister or whatever. As for the bio-wheels, the only time they are harmful is if you are using CO2. They let WAY too much gas out into the atmosphere instead of the water. Also if you get a powerfilter like the penguin type, make sure you keep the water level up as high as possible so there is very little splashing. That caused CO2 to be lost as well. If you aren't using CO2, don't worry about it.

I don't think the carbon is all that bad, but you don't need it unless you are trying to remove meds. I would take it out and stuff some more sponges in the filter.

Rich

There's not really anything wrong with having the carbon cartridges in there. The carbon is only active for about 72 hrs. and won't leach phospates for months AFAIK. If it concerns you just get polyester batting for mechanical filtration or slice the filter carts with a razor and dump out the carbon then use a rubber band to hold the batting in place.

Back
Top Bottom