My Tank Looks A Mess - Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have just been viewing my discus tank and I do not like it at all.
I have alot of algae :( - There is this purple fluffy one on my plants and a green slime on my gravel .... what should I do ?

The bolivian rams do not look happy.

Discus loook great - growing :D

Plants are not looking to well.

I have been doing some reading and thought of some plants that I am going to try in this tank (low lighting) and am going to do some aquascaping :).

I think I need some algae eaters and many people have advised me two bristlenose catfish, I like the sound of this idea but some one kinly pointed out that they are know for eating eggs so if my discus spawn I may not even know about it lol.
But I know they are great for algae eating so have decided to purchase two of these EVENTUALLY. Therefore I will most probably be returning my bolivian rams if nitrates become a problem.

So I will post some before and after pics. When the tank is done.

As I am not using any CO2 and I have just read the new sticky I might use some fertalisers .... will this effect my discus at all ?

Im thinking thats cayno.. have you been keeping track of your NO3 reading testing?
its likely you have been running a wile with zero NO3.. you need to dose it to 10-15 ppm you have a light stocking load in that tank IMO you might have had very little NO3 to begin with.. I would suggest you stop by the planted tank section of the fourm and read the stickys..
What are your NO3 and PO4 readings currently?
HTH

ok.. I didnt read close enough.. sounds like you have been reading the stickys lately..
.. your NO3 to PO4 ratio should be around 10ppm to 1ppm.. and the levels needed by the plants should have little to no effect on your fish..
algae eating fish will not solve this.. its a water chemistry issue.. Im giving you a very limited amount of information about ferts.. there is more to know about this issue then just NO3 and PO4.. theres trace, potasium, iron ect ect ect.. please read up.. :p

once you get to fertilizing.. you can do a manual removal and then if needed try a blackout..
CO2 isnt needed for low light.. and it is not the problem here IMO

Thank you alot greenmaji. I think I know the source of my algae :mad:
Is it possible to carry algea from one tank to another?
If so this is how I got it lol.

My water is fine and is home to discus so it has to be lol :lol:

Another reason for a sudden bloom could be from sunlight as the nets of the windows have been tuck down the last week or so as we are getting some new windows lol :)

the problem is your water is likely too fine for the plants.. they need nutrents to grow and if they dont have them cayno will porliferate.. you dont have to do anything for cayno to get into your tank.. the stuff is everywere floating in the air.. its like pollen..

Well I am on my way to the lfs soon any way as I am changing my rams for a pair of cockatoo's (wanted for a long time) and maybe some bristlenose catfish if there are any in. I am going to get some plants and probs bogwood as well. :)
So I will post some piccy's later. Thanx for your help greenmaji.
Ahh thank you so how do I add nutirents to my water ?

Could I add nutrients by adding more fish lol :)
What an excuse :)

daylight or what have you..
you need to test the water for NO3 and PO4.. Im telling you that these will be too low and that was the cause of the "algae" caynobacteria..
excess sunlight would likely cause other macro algae's to come into play as well.. Im almost positive the main cause is lack of nutients.. If you test your water and find 10ppm NO3 and 1ppm PO4.. I will be amazed! :p

I would never advise more fish for nutrent sake.. you need to get some KNO3 or some florish nitrogen by seachem.. and the like..

I am going to be ading two bristlenose eventually any way. lol :)

I have some, what do you want me to test. I have ammonia, nitrates and p.h. I think ....

Steven_Askham said:
Why will you be amazed lol :lol:

If you have live plants they consume these nutrents.. if you have a caynobacteria outbreak this tells me you have little to no NO3.. thats why I would be amazed to see you testing your NO3 and getting a result of 10ppm

One min I will test the nitrate now. What do you mean by ppm I ahev the test where it is colour coded lol.

Back
Top Bottom