My thumb is not green...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone, I'm back with plant problems! I'm starting to think that I should just stick to fish.

My tank is a 10 gallon with a Finnex Stingray 20" LED. From my understanding that's enough to grow low and medium light plants. I've got java moss, java fern, and one dwarf chain sword.

I'm dosing the tank every day with API CO2 booster. I've also dosed with Flourish Comprehensive and Leaf Zone- as directed, and then more as it seemed like it was needed. The dwarf chain sword has an API root tab right under it.

The java moss seems fine, and the dwarf chain sword looks ok. But my java fern- which is what I have the most of- is having all kinds of problems. I've got black lines showing up on some leaves. Other leaves are bending and shrivelling. The tips of many of them are turning dark green which I've read is a phosphate problem- but despite adding enough Comprehensive for a 60 gallon tank this week, they're still dark green. All of the new leaves are shriveled and misshapen, and some parts are turning brown.

The only two things I can think is that the big cave in the middle of the tank has a ton of brown algae on it- but I like the look of it that way. Could that be consuming all of the nutrients? There's also some algae on the glass and sand but not all that much. The other thing is that my tank is somewhat close to a window, enough to get some sunlight. Are my plants getting too much light from that and then not enough nutrients? Or maybe my light is on too long- I leave it on for 14-15 hours a day (basically when I'm awake).

This is my first planted tank and for all my knowledge with fish I'm an idiot when it comes to plants, so please scold me gently for whatever I'm doing wrong!

Over fertilization seems to be theme here...Also cut your photo-period back to 6 or 7 hrs total..cut back to the recommended dosing per bottle instructions...Also new plants often require an adjustment period when placed into a new tank..give it time&patience...

sit in silence

Over fertilization seems to be theme here...Also cut your photo-period back to 6 or 7 hrs total..cut back to the recommended dosing per bottle instructions...Also new plants often require an adjustment period when placed into a new tank..give it time&patience...

sit in silence

I didn't think over-fertilization was actually a potential issue? I'll stop adding more fertilizers, cut down on the lighting period and wait it out then.

Lights down to 6-8 hours will help you a bunch!
Then it is ironic(being a fish person more then plants also) that if fertalising then the tank should get 50% water change to reset the ferts every week!
Are you doing regular water changes?
Lighting needs to much shorter period IMO mostly.

I didn't think over-fertilization was actually a potential issue? I'll stop adding more fertilizers, cut down on the lighting period and wait it out then.

All of the plants you mentioned can almost flourish in tap water alone(almost)..by increasing the amnt of ferts added can/will cause the algae issue before mentioned...amongst all the tanks I keep 2 are considered low tech...once weekly I dose comp&leafzone..daily I dose glut(both tanks are heavily planted)&yes too much of a good thing can also be a bad thing..keep up on weekly wc's&dose your ferts/glut before lights on(30-45mins)..the reduction of the photoperiod will undoubtedly help with settling things but you'll still need to find a balance with which your tank will do well..

sit in silence

I would also suggest moving away from the window and direct sunlight.

Gone Fishing,
Dale

Here's a tip I do with a couple of my tanks to reduce the amnt of ambient light getting to the tank..I cut out cardboard the same size of the glass area in direct line of fire from the window...using my magnetic algae cleaner (1-2) to hold them in place..works great

sit in silence

I have two tanks that get a good amount of sunlight so they get very little in the way of artificial light.

I do ferts weekly with water changes: Leaf Zone, Comp, and Excel.

It's not direct sunlight, it's just indirect sunlight from two different windows. The windows in my room are placed in such a way that you can't avoid them.

I think what I'm going to do is have the photoperiod around when I get back from class. Normally I turn tank lights on when I get up at 7 and turn them off when I go to bed around 10 or 11. Instead I'm going to turn them on when I get back from class (around 4) and turn them off when I go to bed.

So I cut back on fertilizers, dropped the photoperiod significantly (it's now 5-8 hours depending on the day) and the plants seem to be doing WAY better. The green tips are shrinking away and the shriveled up new leaves are now opening up and being full and beautiful. Thanks for the help everyone! The puffers seem to love it.

So I cut back on fertilizers, dropped the photoperiod significantly (it's now 5-8 hours depending on the day) and the plants seem to be doing WAY better. The green tips are shrinking away and the shriveled up new leaves are now opening up and being full and beautiful. Thanks for the help everyone! The puffers seem to love it.

Good to hear. Make life simpler and get a timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom