My water is getting cloudy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a thirty gallon tank with java moss. I used to have a lot of other plants but my crayfish decided it would be fun to kill them all. I also had a small common pleco. I recently sold both of them because of my bioload and I was annoyed because of the cray. I now have 9 baby mollies, 1 3 spot gourami, and 2 adult mollies. Why is my water getting a green fog? I do 10% pwc 1-2 times a week and the lights are on 7ish hours. I'm kinda desperate now.

needmorecowbell said:
I have a thirty gallon tank with java moss. I used to have a lot of other plants but my crayfish decided it would be fun to kill them all. I also had a small common pleco. I recently sold both of them because of my bioload and I was annoyed because of the cray. I now have 9 baby mollies, 1 3 spot gourami, and 2 adult mollies. Why is my water getting a green fog? I do 10% pwc 1-2 times a week and the lights are on 7ish hours. I'm kinda desperate now.

It's a green algae bloom and it's from excess nutrients and possibly your lights. The plants used it so algae couldn't get enough to grow like it is now.

Here's a link that is helpful.

http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/algae-in-the-planted-aquarium/#greenwater

Thanks for the link and I am not sure if I know where to find daphnia and I am Trying the water changes. I cant do a blackout because of my java moss. I may get rid of the moss for a little bit and blackout, then return the moss and a few other plants. I also now have green spot algae because of low phosphates. Aren't phosphates bad? And I will add a snail and a bristlenose pleco soon.

needmorecowbell said:
Thanks for the link and I am not sure if I know where to find daphnia and I am Trying the water changes. I cant do a blackout because of my java moss. I may get rid of the moss for a little bit and blackout, then return the moss and a few other plants. I also now have green spot algae because of low phosphates. Aren't phosphates bad? And I will add a snail and a bristlenose pleco soon.

Yep, I thought po4 was bad too. I just got some nerite snails the other day and they're feasting on my diatoms lol.

You can put the moss ina clear tub and stick it in the window and it'll keep growing.

I out towels over it and thee is no light
Getting into it. I will wait until Easter to take it off. I put the moss into a glass and in a high light source.

Well i took the towels off today and the water was cloudier. I did a 40% pwc and it is still not looking much better. Im not sure what to do. Any help?

Well i took the towels off today and the water was cloudier. I did a 40% pwc and it is still not looking much better. Im not sure what to do. Any help?

Well that link did say 5 days and it's only been 2 or 3 I believe. The other thing to try is putting poly-fil in your filter and that should catch a lot of the algae. Working great for me and the dueling diatoms/tannins going on in one of my tanks :p.

I bought this type of filter floss that is blue and white. I also added chemipure? It came in a bag and is supposedly great for your tank. I bought 2 guppies, 1 bristle pleco, and an assassin snail. I got rid of my common pleco and gourami. I am mow using flourish and have a sword plant. My water is still cloudy.. I tried most things. Any help? I have a sump now btw.

I bought this type of filter floss that is blue and white. I also added chemipure? It came in a bag and is supposedly great for your tank. I bought 2 guppies, 1 bristle pleco, and an assassin snail. I got rid of my common pleco and gourami. I am mow using flourish and have a sword plant. My water is still cloudy.. I tried most things. Any help? I have a sump now btw.

I'd suggest trying to stabilize the tank before making anymore changes. If it's still white cloudy water, I still think it's bacterial bloom but maybe someone has other ideas. Only suggestion I can give you is daily PWC of 50% and it should clear. I've dealt with 2 or 3 blooms and that fixed it, no problem.

I was trying to fix other things with the purchases lol. The snail was to kill the pond snails, chemipure was supposed to help the cloudiness, and the pleco was for the green spot algae and green dust algae. The guppies were a gift from my grandpa who means well. I am going to test my water soon

Total blackout for atleast 7 days. Patience. Use the blue/white filter pads. Don't overfeed. The assassins will reproduce too. Buy a Yo Yo loach or two. He removed 30+ snails in 2 days. Just vacuum the shells

I have the blue and white pads, I can't blackout because it's planted. I may get a yoyo because this snail isnt killing much.

Back
Top Bottom