Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

My water is turning slightly yellow a few days after PWCs...

I have a lightly planted tank with rainbow fish tanks, with a few other type of fish in it. I have some java moss, java ferns, and some cabomba that is not growing the best because i think i have insufficient light. I dose with excel and flourish potassium. i have a large piece of drift wood but i dont think its causing the green, i soaked it for 2 weeks, and it didnt cause yellow water before.

There is no hint of green so i don't think its an algae/bacteria bloom. Any ideas?

Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
The most likely culprit is the driftwood. Try running some AC in your filters. It may solve the problem.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree; it's probably the driftwood. I had one do that even though I soaked it for several weeks. Sometimes it takes longer for the tannins to be leached.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

hmm, that sounds like it could be the problem... maybe i didnt see it at first because i change my filter carts and now the carbon is probably deactivated so the yellow is returning.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yup, that sounds like it. If the piece isn't huge (and you have a big pot) I would remove it and boil it a couple times. I had soaked my piece of driftwood for about a MONTH, changing the water daily or every couple days. It started out really staining the water, then near the end of the month it barely showed any leeching. I boiled it and it IMMEDIATELY stained the water for 3 water changes (ie boil, throw out, boil, throw out, etc.). So even though it might appear to not have any tannins left, a good boil will rule out the possibility (and sterilize the wood).
Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

the piece is huge, i had to buy a 35 gallon tub to soak it in... i could only pour boiling water on it. its not too bad, just a tint of yellow. and i already have java ferns/moss growing on it. its probably 28" long, 12" high and about 7" thick. it looks very nice
Old 07-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioheadx14
the piece is huge, i had to buy a 35 gallon tub to soak it in... i could only pour boiling water on it. its not too bad, just a tint of yellow. and i already have java ferns/moss growing on it. its probably 28" long, 12" high and about 7" thick. it looks very nice
Wow that's HUGE! Can you get a tank pic and post it? I'd be interested to see how it looks.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

i don't currently have a digital camera... i could try to borrow a roommate's later. it looks sweet though minus the yellow
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will eventually go away, but it could be a LONGGGGGGGGGGG time with such a huge piece...

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com