My water is turning slightly yellow a few days after PWCs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Radioheadx14

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a lightly planted tank with rainbow fish tanks, with a few other type of fish in it. I have some java moss, java ferns, and some cabomba that is not growing the best because i think i have insufficient light. I dose with excel and flourish potassium. i have a large piece of drift wood but i dont think its causing the green, i soaked it for 2 weeks, and it didnt cause yellow water before.

There is no hint of green so i don't think its an algae/bacteria bloom. Any ideas?

The most likely culprit is the driftwood. Try running some AC in your filters. It may solve the problem.

I agree; it's probably the driftwood. I had one do that even though I soaked it for several weeks. Sometimes it takes longer for the tannins to be leached.

hmm, that sounds like it could be the problem... maybe i didnt see it at first because i change my filter carts and now the carbon is probably deactivated so the yellow is returning.

Yup, that sounds like it. If the piece isn't huge (and you have a big pot) I would remove it and boil it a couple times. I had soaked my piece of driftwood for about a MONTH, changing the water daily or every couple days. It started out really staining the water, then near the end of the month it barely showed any leeching. I boiled it and it IMMEDIATELY stained the water for 3 water changes (ie boil, throw out, boil, throw out, etc.). So even though it might appear to not have any tannins left, a good boil will rule out the possibility (and sterilize the wood).

the piece is huge, i had to buy a 35 gallon tub to soak it in... i could only pour boiling water on it. its not too bad, just a tint of yellow. and i already have java ferns/moss growing on it. its probably 28" long, 12" high and about 7" thick. it looks very nice :)

Radioheadx14 said:
the piece is huge, i had to buy a 35 gallon tub to soak it in... i could only pour boiling water on it. its not too bad, just a tint of yellow. and i already have java ferns/moss growing on it. its probably 28" long, 12" high and about 7" thick. it looks very nice :)

Wow that's HUGE! Can you get a tank pic and post it? I'd be interested to see how it looks.

i don't currently have a digital camera... i could try to borrow a roommate's later. it looks sweet though minus the yellow

It will eventually go away, but it could be a LONGGGGGGGGGGG time with such a huge piece...

Back
Top Bottom