Name the deficiency......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here's my dwarf sag. It was looking pretty good for a while, then did my blackout, and it suffered some. But then came back and was looking pretty well. But the last couple days it's been taking a nose dive. What am I lacking? I'm wondering if I should be dosing more of something, as the algae is coming back (not the BGA though). could it be that my Wisteria has been taking more than I was expecting? It's now taken up almost 1/3 of the tank. I've tried taking tests of the water, but I'm just not confident with the results, as they are showing I have more than enough nitrate and phosphate. And I was wondering if I could possibly use the dwarf sag as a warning device that something needs to be increased. Here's a couple pics. And no, the babies aren't the ones with a deficiency, LOL.

29g114.jpg

29g115.jpg

Edit:

I was dosing per EI as follows:
KNO3 - 1/4 TSP 3x weekly. This equals 6.7ppm per dose.
KH2PO4 - 1/16 TSP 3x weekly. This equals 1.9ppm per dose
K2SO4 - 1/16 TSP 3x weekly. This equals 1.4ppm per dose

So my conclusion (Someone correct me if I'm wrong):
I should up my nitrate dosing to 3/8 TSP per dose. 12.7ppm per dose.
Dose 1/16 TSP KH2PO4 Once a week after PWC only. 1.9ppm per dose.
K2SO4 is too low, possibly my main problem. Should dose 1/4 TSP 3x weekly. 5.7ppm per dose.

Let me know what you think.... And thanks in advance... :)

Looks like a trace deficiency to me. I was struggling with problems in my tank and could not figure out the problem (I was overdosing K, had high tank nitrAte and phosphates, and GH of ~10 degrees). Turns out it was a CSM+B trace deficiency that caused a lot of unidentifiable problems. (ie it looked kind of like a Mg deficiency, but kind of like a K deficiency, but kind of like....you get the idea).

The Hc in your foreground to the right also appears yellow.

Also the wisteria in your tank should be your indicator of nutrient deficiency as it will outgrow anything else. In your first picture it seems to be pretty yellow (its in th background and out of focus though). I'm still leaning towards a trace/iron deficiency.

Goodluck. Can you take a closer picture so we can really see the leaves?

Actually, I don't have HC in the tank, lol. That's clover. And it's not doing so hot either since the blackout, lol. I found that in my 75G, the clover is very slow at anything, lol. As for the Wisteria, it's actually very green. Greener than in the pictures. A couple leaves have kind of a silvery look also.

As for deficiencies, I doubt it's traces. My solution is actually CSM+B with extra Iron and extra Magnesium. So I'm getting more Iron and Magnesium in the water than with the CSM+B alone.

I'm still leaning towards Potassium and nitrogen, as my Potassium dosing is not very high at all. They say 10-20ppm per week, well, I'm barely dosing around 6ppm. But I think I'll up the dose of CSM+B, as I'm now starting to dose dry, and won't be getting the extra iron and Mg as well.

Definately increase your K dosing then first and foremost. There is no reason not to dump a ton in the tank (the sulfate variety of course), and you'll be sure it is never a K deficiency that way. I trust my AP nitrAte test as long as its above 10ppm so you can be pretty confident if your doing the test properly that if your detecting greater than 10ppm that's not your problem either.

Well, I did 3 things, and now the dwarf sag seems to be getting greener, and all the plants are pearling once again. I increased the Potassium, instead of 1/8 tsp doses, I'm doing 1/4 tsp doses. Also, I completely stopped dosing Phosphates. The last few times I tested phosphates, they were always high. Then I also increased my nitrates dosing. And now the plants are pearling once again. Also, the stuff that was growing back again, seems to have haulted. It was looking ugly the last couple days, taking quite a bit out with a turkey baster each morning. But after all day today on full-lighting, there's less of the stuff on the filter spraybar, and the cabomba. Let's hope this changes the course the tank has been taking. I might increase the nitrates just a little more, but I think I'm dosing enough potassium. And will see how things progress over the next week or 2.

Back
Top Bottom