NanoJack's Photo Journal 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jack, just my experience, but I've never been able to keep a tank at 8 hours of light with out algae issues. You might wanna kick it down to 6 hours.

You can also spot treat most algae with excel or h2o2 and a syringe to keep it from getting out of control.

My phosphate levels are reading 0 via API test kit. What do you all recommend? Dose phosphorous?
Should I dose nitrogen during a nitrite spike? Should I start dosing macros?

Bill, I'll take your advice! Btw, are you Ei or PPS? I have all the Seachem products. It will probably take a year or more to use it up. I plan on taking the PPS route.

Just joined the Current usa satellite led plus club! Hope it doesn't create an explosion! (Algae that is). Brian, would like your thoughts and recommendation on this. I saw your tank on the current usa site!

Just joined the Current usa satellite led plus club! Hope it doesn't create an explosion! (Algae that is). Brian, would like your thoughts and recommendation on this. I saw your tank on the current usa site!

I was considering the same light. Interested in your experience with them.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haha... Yeah, I'm a Current fanboy I guess! Bill is right, running both that Archaea and Sat+ on such a shallow tank is asking for trouble. Do either or, not both. Either would be capable of growing your plants once they acclimate to flooded conditions.

I also use PPS-Pro but dose slightly more. I also modified my micro solution with a little extra PO4 due to the GSA I was getting.

Current state.
70% WC's every 2 days.
Dosing all ferts 2x alternate days and excel 3ml/day. Co2 at 6 bps- on 2 hours before and off one hour before, lights 6 hours, ammonia 0, Nitrite 5, Nitrate 10-20 ppm. Still cycling.
Hydro Japan lost 80% of leaves and new growth is sustaining.
S repens is on life support.
Downoi is a goner. Removed all remnants to prevent ammonia.
HM is thriving.
HC growing many tiny elongated leaves.

Mistakes thus far:
1. Did not do daily WCs first week of flooding
2. Did not dose ferts once flooded.
3. Photo period too long and no ferts the first week caused a lot of leaf havoc.

What I understand thus far:
1. Over dosing does not cause algae
2. Water changes remove ammonia.
3. Excel is your friend.
4. No apparent algae issues but diatoms.

To be determined:
1. Extra light fixture effects.
My hypothesis is increased consumption of nutrients and co2. will have to see if lighting suits my lifestyle or rather how long I can sustain something that is of high maintenance.

Stay tuned...

Hope you can get things in order soon! Keep at it and the more experienced guys in the forum will offer help soon!

Sorry to hear things aren't panning out best, but things should stabilize after this initial period. Just maintain proper ferts, CO2, and photoperiod durations. Partial water changes. Sounds like your trial & error is helping you hone in.

When I DSM'd before, i only tried HC and S. Repens (tropica 049). Never tried downoi until my tank was established. If you want to try that plant again, wait until you're cycled (not that being cycled should affect plant growth, but just to buy more time). You can actually buy "tissue culture" of Pogostemon Helferi from petsmart for a good price.

On a side note, i noticed you're using a magfloat. I find using a MagFox (by Two Little Fishies) works better in nano tanks to get in those tight corners.

Good luck on this build. You'll get it.

Ei dosing. Each squirt is .5ml. Not really dosing exact amounts. Trying to keep life simple. Micros are in mini fridge. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396279199.956213.jpg

Hey SK3!

The tank is looking good so far. Keeping up with the WCs and ferts. I added 5 Neon Tetras (sacrificial lamb) last week. One jumped out and committed suicide, the others seem fine with the co2 bps. I'm going to take these Neons back to the LFS because I got 7 CPDs the other day and 6 RCS from ebay. My tank is crowded and do not like nor recommend! The CPDs are tiny trout compared to the neons that remind me of Tuna. I know i'm pressed against time before I have an increase in NH4 and then an algae bloom! Oh, I also bought some Tissue Culture of Pogostemon Helferi per BrianNano's suggestions. I could not use all of it and had to dispose most. I suppose i'm content with fauna and now looking forward to plant growth. I will post a photo when I get home from work.

Day 25 after flooding. Added the plant in the middle background that came with RCS. Can anyone tell me what it is? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396920035.996383.jpg

Back
Top Bottom