NanoJack's Photo Journal 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Five weeks.

I'm hoping diatoms will die off in the next couple weeks. perhaps my tank hasn't fully cycled. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397741011.766759.jpg

Diatoms are pretty typical after new setups finish cycling. Are you testing water params?

Hi Bill!

My parameters are 0-0-0. Yes, zero nitrates. Technically still cycling. My HC are making me depressed...Diatoms are stressing me out. Lol. I want to rip all of it out!!!

Photo period 6pm-12am
Cleaned out filter for efficient flow.
Using pipet to force diatoms off HC.
Increased co2. Dosing ferts n excel religiously.

Kh and GH are 9 drops per test.

I will be patient for diatoms to dissipate....

Seems a little odd that you have zeros across the board. You should have something showing up from the aquasoil leaching. Could be that you're cycled, but the plants are using all the nitrates. Are you dosing nitrates? I don't recall, did you ever have nitrites show up and then go? Keep up the patience, you have all the good equipment, and once the HC takes off and you have more plant mass, the tank should stabilize and algae should slowly dissipate.

A week ago my nitrites were fluctuating from 0 and .25. Since Monday, my nitrites have read 0 and holding. I dose Flourish nitrogen 1.5ml. I just received PPS pro dry ferts. Maybe the flourish nitrogen is too weak, diluted, and mostly water??

Also, is it advisable to do 80-90% WC? My WCs may have been excessive and may need to do 50% instead.

80-90 is way too much.. In your lightly stocked tank..30% would be sufficient..
Edit- that would be standard operating procedure, in cycle, whatever it takes to get levels tolerable..

Came home tonight and almost lost all fauna. Co2 was off the charts. ? Lost one CPD and brought two from the brinks of death. Also 2 RCS were laying upside down. I placed them upright and they seem to have survived. ? Quick 50% WC was the remedy. We'll see in the morning if they don't succumb to the stress. I will be keeping co2 at a countable 1-2 bps.

Came home tonight and almost lost all fauna. Co2 was off the charts. ? Lost one CPD and brought two from the brinks of death. Also 2 RCS were laying upside down. I placed them upright and they seem to have survived. ? Quick 50% WC was the remedy. We'll see in the morning if they don't succumb to the stress. I will be keeping co2 at a countable 1-2 bps.

Glad you caught it when you did. That was my fear when I recently started a pressurized system. I plan on switching diffusers out every few weeks (alternating between two; the off cycle one soaks in H2O2 for cleaning). I've noticed that the diffusers exert slightly different back pressure. Thus, I adjust the fine control and bubble count when I swap them out.
What was the bps before?

2-3 bps at most. After I swapped tanks, it was 3bps and up. Not an equipment defect. I shouldn't have adjusted the pressure valve before heading to work.

Looking better! Getting over the diatoms hump is a great thing in a new tank. Keep the updates coming.

Back
Top Bottom