Narrow leaf Java Fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patrickriley2010

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have some questions a about the plant I just bought. Okay I was told sand is okay to use so that part is good I was told to just use JOBE PLANT SPIKES for my tank instead of wasting money on root tabs. But I noticed their I'd a variety of them and not sure which to go with . But I was also told the java fed from
The water not roots but for future plants I'd like to know . Next I was told to plant the java fern inside something like a seashell to hold it down .
Is that needed ?

And the main point of this post is to ask what these are growing on the fern itself.
4E7qi5E.jpg

Java ferns don't need root tabs as they will absorb nutrients from the water. The little roots are forming because the plant is beginning to develop baby plants.

So I should leave them on there ?

Also will they stay planted in sand ?

You can plant the roots of java fern in the sand but the rhizome must stay out of the substrate. As for the plant lets you can remove them now or you can let them grow a bit. They won't hurt the mother plant unless they get a lot larger

You can plant the roots of java fern in the sand but the rhizome must stay out of the substrate. As for the plant lets you can remove them now or you can let them grow a bit. They won't hurt the mother plant unless they get a lot larger

Cool so I just pull them off cut the roots ? And even plant them in another smaller grower tank or something ?

Cool so I just pull them off cut the roots ? And even plant them in another smaller grower tank or something ?

Just gently pull the plantlet off. If you want keep the plantlet I would wait until it has a good size leaf or two on it, mine always did much better if I let them develop more before taking them off the mother plant.

Just gently pull the plantlet off. If you want keep the plantlet I would wait until it has a good size leaf or two on it, mine always did much better if I let them develop more before taking them off the mother plant.

Okay cool I figured it would be a waste to not keep them. So should I use thread to tie the roots to a Rock?

That would be best I think, tie them to rocks, driftwood or decorations that aren't too smooth. Mine have always done best with nothing in the substrate, then if they want/need to they can send roots down into it.

Back
Top Bottom