nasty algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmohamma

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

What is this algae and how can I get rid of it? it grows just as fast as I try to remove any of it. PLEASE HELP!!!

Attachments

• IMG_9725.jpg
    IMG_9725.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_9724.jpg
    IMG_9724.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 67
It's hair algae, you have it worse than me and I'm struggling as well so I can't be much help with eliminating it, but you really don't have much plant mass to starve the algae out which is a huge key to keeping algae at bay, I would add your tank setup in the description, tank size, water parameters, what lighting, lighting schedule, c02 or no c02, ferts and how much you dose etc etc, but one big thing stand out and that's the lack of healthy robust plants which is huge in algae control, I would get a bowl of water (for your hands) remove as much of the hair algae as you can, each time you pull your hands from the water rinse them in the bowl of water so you don't put any back into the tank, if your lights on longer than 8 hours, cut it back to 6-7, make sure you have enough flow in the tank, after removing as much as you can by hand, do a 50% water change and do a thorough substrate skim to remove organics, check for gunked up filters as well, DON'T clean filter media in anything other than a bucket of tank water. As far as that I really can't help you much more, there are other people on here that can though. Here's a link everyone should read, it's from Dennis wong and very in depth about all aspects of a planted tank, ferts, lighting algae types and fixes etc etc
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/control-algae.html

But I would read everything on there.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here but.....a few (3/4) Amano shrimp will clear that up in no time. I have 12 or so spread throughout 3/4 tanks and they are algae eating machines..

Back
Top Bottom