Native plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can I use some plants I collected in a local river for a fish tank? What are the inherent risks that may come with introducing such plants?

Is there anything I could do to get rid of them, or should I leave them out? They "seem" fairly clean, but I know what you can't see is the problems.

some people like doing a salt dip, or potassium permanganate, h2o2, or bleach. I've tried the bleach method and it really didn't work out so well for the plants.

I have a specific tank that I put my new plants into, along with any new native additions, think of it as a quarantine. I leave them in there for a few weeks and see if anything pops up, if not , then I add them to whatever tank.

Quarentine would be nice, but I have no extra tank. I just soaked them in tap water for 30 mins and am soaking them in de-chlor for a bit. Do you think the chlorine in the municipal water would have had an effect on the possible unwated microbes?

Back
Top Bottom