Natural fertilizers for Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artzechic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,
I'm wanting to put some plants in with my red cherry shrimp, but I'm not sure how to keep them fertilized. I don't want to use any man made fertilizers. I only want to use natural ones. I've heard that snails are good because their poop can fertilize plants wonderfully. What are your thoughts? Any advice on other animals or things to use?

Hi there,
I'm wanting to put some plants in with my red cherry shrimp, but I'm not sure how to keep them fertilized. I don't want to use any man made fertilizers. I only want to use natural ones. I've heard that snails are good because their poop can fertilize plants wonderfully. What are your thoughts? Any advice on other animals or things to use?

I don't see an issue with using man made fertilizers myself. I've never had snails, but my train of thought is snail poop wouldn't do much of anything as far a as plant fertilizers go, they have next to zero bioloads. Plants help absorb ammonia and nitrate. I'm just not sure how you can avoid man made fertilizers. If its the cost of fertilizers that's scaring you there are DIY alternatives that at every cost effective.

Ferts aren't going to hurt your shrimp. Many people use ferts and some a significant amount in shrimp tanks without harm to the shrimp. If you want plants your going to have to use some type of fert even if it's just something like Flourish Comprehensive 1 or 2 times a week. It's not like you'd be using tons of the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom