Nature Aquarium Going Through Difficult Times - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kareem Monzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

So this is my low-tech, heavily-fertilized, heavily-stocked (plants AND fish) nature aquarium. This is my first ever tank and I've had it for about 5 months now. Its a 125 Liter (33 Gal) Juwel tank with the stock MultiLux LED lights and filter, which has a flow-rate of about 500l/hr and a turnover of 4x/hr. However, I modified the filter media to include a ton of Seachem Matrix and my tests are always perfect. Although its technically a low-tech tank, I use a carefully regimented dosing schedule, which I've attached below. I also used ADA Power Soil and ADA Amazonia II for the substrate. I do about a 35% water change every week.

For the first 4 months, it was growing beautifully and better than I ever expected given that it was low-tech. However, the last month has been particularly challenging in that I started to get a ton of glass algae. I had a small hair algae problem in the past but after adding some Amano Shrimp, that hasnt been a problem anymore. I've been scrapping my glass every 2 days or so just to keep up with the algae growth. Whats worse is that my plants seem to have taken a serious hit. Many of them have started to darken and grow brown dirt-like spots and stopped growing altogether. I've attached a couple of pictures to show you the examples. My montecarlo and weeping moss have become especially darker as well. This is my full plant list:

- Monte Carlo (Darkening and not growing)
- Weeping Moss (Was growing intensely during the first couple of months, now is struggling)
- Anubius Nana (Surprisingly struggling)
- Sagitaria Subulata (Melting)
- Staurogyne Bihar (Ok)
- Staurogyne Repens (Brown spots)
- Java Fern (Blackening)
- Cryptocoryne Costata (Brown Spots)

My stocking list (AqAdvisor stocking level: 89%):
- 13 Neon Tetras
- 13 Harlequin Rasbora
- 2 Pearl Gourami
- 4 Otocinlus
- 7 Amano Shrimp

If I'm honest, things started to really take a dive after adding the last 13 harlequins. All these fish were added incrementally over the course of this tanks existence, however these harlequins could have been the feather that broke the camels back. I've brainstormed a couple of possible reasons that could have created this problem and I'd really appreciate your feedback.

1) Tank is overstocked, need to remove some fish
2) Need to upgrade filter pump (Juwel do a 1000 l/hr filter pump that is compatible with my filter)
3) Need to start adding the macro elements Nitrogen and Phosporus
4) Need to reduce dosing altogether
5) Need to upgrade to high tech CO2 injection and lighting

I understand that its a long post but I really wanted to give you guys all the possible info you would need to break down what is happening in my tank. I added two main layout pictures of my tank. The one with the thick moss, red plants and cabomba is the older one. Its worth noting that I cut down a lot on the plants I have because many of them started to struggle quite badly and moss was covering all my pretty seriou stones!

I'd really appreciate the guidance, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 57
Forgot to post my dosing schedule - here it is!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 11.45.33 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 11.45.33 AM.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 59
Well we can probably tell whether you need to dose nitrogen and or phosphorous based on a test. Do you have a nitrate and / or phosphate liquid test kit and if so what does it tell you?

(I know it’s having some problems but the scape looks beautiful, btw)

I’m not really an expert on led lighting having just recently upgraded to LED myself but do you have any idea how much light you’re actually getting. I can’t find anything about it except the advertising about great growth :p.

Stock lights aren’t usually enough to grow much.

Yes, I’ve seen that for myself when I moved to LED.

But I don’t know this tank or this stock lighting system well enough to know if insufficient lighting could be the issue?

If it’s lower intensity light or not the best spectrum that could be a problem. If it’s higher, they could indeed need macro dosing. Their nitrate test results would give us a clue on that point.

Back
Top Bottom