Need a final Answer - No CO2 System. Yes or No on a Air Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've gotten every possible answer to this question, and I'm rather confused.

I'm putting together a freshwater, planted tank, with no CO2 system. I'll be using Seachem's Flourish Excel for carbon.

Do I want an air pump and air stones in my tank or not? I've been told yes, and no, or yes but only run it at night.

Please give me your views on this!

Thanks,
David

Congrats on the mod. I would recommend DIY Co2 as soon as you can. It's beneficial to any planted tank regardless of lighting.

You can use a limewood airstone to diffuse it. Low cost and you'll save yourself some trouble with algae..

I really, really don't want to have to do a CO2 system. Going to give the Flourish Excel (and other Flourish products) a try for a couple of months and see how they do.

When you don't inject CO2 using an airstone or other method to create surface turbulance helps to keep CO2 levels up at ambient levels. On the other hand if you are injecting CO2, then surface turbulance will gas off the extra CO2 you are injecting. This is why when you are injecting CO2 you should avoid airpumps or only run then at night when the plants don't need the CO2.

Purrbox said:
When you don't inject CO2 using an airstone or other method to create surface turbulance helps to keep CO2 levels up at ambient levels. On the other hand if you are injecting CO2, then surface turbulance will gas off the extra CO2 you are injecting. This is why when you are injecting CO2 you should avoid airpumps or only run then at night when the plants don't need the CO2.

Thanks Purrbox, that helped a lot.

3.33wpg on a 12g is really only around medium light. Its right at the point where you don't actually need CO2, but it would definitely help to have it. Using Excel daily should be enough though, IMO.

JustOneMore20 said:
3.33wpg on a 12g is really only around medium light. Its right at the point where you don't actually need CO2, but it would definitely help to have it. Using Excel daily should be enough though, IMO.

Yes, I plan to use Excel daily and the other Flourish products 2X or 3X a week.

I also ordered a Whisper 20 Air Pump and related accessories. I'm just going with two of the cheap little air stones.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll let you know how it goes.

David

Back
Top Bottom