Need a little with my 50gal. Mainly algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've set up a 50 gal breeder a few weeks back loaded with the plants that I'd like to put in my next project (125gal dirt). Anyways I'm dosing with ferts that I purchased from a guy that I also got plants from. His bottles are labeled macro and micro. I keep both in the fridge. I have 4 39watt t5ho running 2 hrs in the morning and 6 hrs in the evening with an 8 hr in between. I'm running pressure co2 at approx 2 bps which my drop checker (diy) is indicating to me a dark green. I have fluorite substrate and also have some root tabs under the bigger root feeder. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390705342.164934.jpg
I now have what looks like black hair growing on my jungle Val ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390705407.448440.jpg
and some green fine hair algae that looks like spider webs ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390705467.672513.jpg
Sorry about the last pic. That's the best my phone will do. Suggestions on how to deal with this. I should mention that I purchased a new lights fixture that allows me to control 2 sets of bulbs at a time and the third control for the moonlights.

I know that I should get a test kit for kh and gh(?) and some dosing bottles. Trying to find those in Canada will be fun. My fertilizers for PPS Pro came in last week as well as the root tabs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Try this. Lights to 6 hrs daily total. Keep nitrates from 10 to 30ppm and up your phosphates to 2-3ppm. Make sure and do a 40-50% WC each week. OS.

API makes a phosphate kit.

I don't think it matters when the WC is performed, although I would not do it right after fert dosing (I do it prior).

I would trim the parts of the jungle val leaves that have the BBA. Though I have not had jungle val, Ive kept Crystal River Val and it would to the height and length of a 55g; I would trim it back to tank height and it would grow back.

Should I try to remove the algae from the plants. I also have a bottle of of API CO2 booster. Can the glutaral in that help to fight of the algae?

It can but it has the potential to melt some vals and anubias. If your drop checker is a dark green then you likely need to increase the amount of CO2 going into the tank. You usually need to shoot for a yellow ish green color.

It can but it has the potential to melt some vals and anubias. If your drop checker is a dark green then you likely need to increase the amount of CO2 going into the tank. You usually need to shoot for a yellow ish green color.

+1 on bumping up your CO2. I remembered you said dark green and figure you have some leeway for adding more CO2.

So you think its best to shorten the blades of the jungle Val which would remove the algae as well then?

So you think its best to shorten the blades of the jungle Val which would remove the algae as well then?

Only cutoff the parts with BBA. Physically removing as much as you can helps. Of course you still need to address the source of the issue.

I've increased my co2. I want to be careful as my reg doesn't have a solenoid so can't shut it off in the evening. I began removing the green algae by wrapping it around a toothbrush. That works quite well. The algae on the jungle Val (BBA?) doesn't come off so easily so I may end up removing the affected areas. The photo period is now at 6 hours. I will not have it go on in the morning. That being said should I set it for 2 hrs for 2 bulbs then 2 hrs for 4 bulbs then 2 hrs for 2 bulbs then off. I believe I have that ability with this fixture.

I've removed all the hair algae by cutting back my java moss and removed the affected blades of jungle val by cutting them off at the base. I reduced my light period to 6 hrs where 2 bulbs are on for an hour, then all four for 4 hours and then back to 2 bulbs for the last hour. Seems to be working fine with no algae. Trying to stay on top of the dosing ferts is difficult considering my crazy work schedule. This tank is basically a learning tank where I am learning how these plants grow before adding them to my 125gal

I know that I should get a test kit for kh and gh(?) and some dosing bottles. Trying to find those in Canada will be fun. My fertilizers for PPS Pro came in last week as well as the root tabs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

What do you have under your tank?

At this time it's an empty cabinet. My canister and co2 reactor are on the floor beside the stand.

Back
Top Bottom